Audi salesmen arrogance, is this typical?

Page 2 of 2
Curly wrote:

Not in my experience. I test drove an A6 last year, and everyone was very nice and friendly. Even after I decided I *didn't* want the car (it's a fabulous car, but as stupid as it may sound, the center console is too wide and the gas pedal too close to it for my right leg to be comfortable - I ended up getting a Passat instead) I ended up talking to the salesman for probably 20 minutes - no pressure, just shooting the breeze about this & that. Maybe it's the state of the market or something, but last November I hit a bunch of dealerships and most of the people I dealt with (Audi, Infiniti, Acura, VW) were very nice and helpful. The one place I put up with a little arrogance was a Honda dealership, of all places. (The '03 Accord had just come out, and the dealer was saying stuff like "I sold 30 cars this week" as if to say "I'm not going to be talked down", so I just left - who wants to drive a household appliance anyway? ;-)
-- Mike Smith

Lol, absolutely Mike.
But then "isn't it nice when it simply... works?" Ha ha!
You have to admit though, it's definitely better than Matsui or Philips. ;-)
Jules
<snip>

I've bought 3 new cars and never received any real arrogance or bad treatment while shopping anywhere, except way back when I was really young & didn't know how to shop (and they could tell I was borderline on being able to buy, just by looking at me... :) ) Negherbon Audi in Oakland, Calif., where I bought my A4 a while ago, was super professional and respectful from start to finish. Same with the VW dealer where I bought my Passat 5 years previous to that.
I usually call the dealership to make an appointment a few days earlier. While at the dealership, I act like a professional businessperson who's done this before. Look them in the eye, shake hands, look totally relaxed and at home in the dealership, etc. I make it clear whether I'm a today buyer or not to avoid confusion, look confident and organized, speak clearly, and don't argue or make a bunch of useless provocative comments about the brands they sell. I qualify myself for them early on, telling them about new cars I've bought before at nearby dealerships, mentioning how long I've been at my job and a little about what I do, so that they don't doubt my ability to purchase. All of this is more important if you look young, female, or there's anything else about your superficial appearance that might cause dealership staff to not treat you with the respect that you deserve.
With the above, I've found that I get treated well, and also that I get to the desired deal a lot faster and with less BS when it comes time to negotiate a purchase. Of course, great care is still necessary to research pricing and avoid falling for tricks or otherwise leaving too much $ on the table when closing a deal, but it's easier if things start out on the right foot.
Needless to say, if I was ever treated badly despite all of the above, I'd just leave and make another appointment at a competing dealership.
--------------cut
I've bought 3 new cars and never received any real arrogance or bad treatment while shopping anywhere, except way back when I was really young & didn't know how to shop (and they could tell I was borderline on being able to buy, just by looking at me... :) ) -----------cut
Not even the above should ever happen! And your undertstanding is misplaced here. No one should know how to shop and no salesman could ever estimate the customer by looks.
It happened to me in say 1975 when shopping at variuos BMW dealers. I was dressed poorly -which I always do when free- and one salesman said 'they're expensive cars you know!' I just walked out and never bought a BMW. I did buy 14 Audi cars afterwards.
--
Ronald

On 5 Nov 2003 22:05:18 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (David McNerney) wrote:

Obviously a different town than Seattle. Never had any problems here, and I don't look traditionally professional. Of course in this town you never know who has the money, so that may contribute.
Scott
On 01 Nov 2003 01:39:07 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com.aol.com (Curly) wrote:

Hmmm...here is NE Ohio, Fred Baker is the best dealer IMO. I always have a pleasant experience with the salesmen and service guys. They are pretty good fellas.
Of course, Cascade Imports in Cuyahoga Falls is an entirely different matter. The owner is a real piece of work, and I'll never set foot in there again. Rotten, rude and dishonest. If my car were to die in front of the dealership, I'd push it another 30 miles to Fred Baker.
Elroy 2000 S4 - Bought at Fred Baker...after the A4...
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com.aol.com (Curly) wrote:

Not a problem here in the UK. At the end of January I telephoned an Audi dealer to say make tentative enquiries about the RS6. That evening the salesman personally delivered the hard-bound sales brochure to my front door. Although they didn't have a demonstrator available, an arrangement was made for me to test drive the Managing Director's own car a few days later (even the salesman hadn't driven it). The result was that I placed an order immediately on completion of that drive.

Wow RS6... well even here in ugly old Nottingham I went to an Audi dealer in bright red t-shirt sneakers and worn jeans with my hair dyed blonde and out of bed looks (I know... I had bad taste). I asked about the approved used cars and had a test drive as well, the salesperson was ever so helpful and even said things like best thing is to try out a few more before you finally decide what to go for, an A4 or an A6, as I wasn't sure which I preferred more. So yup I test drove a few, both A4 and A6 and a few different engines. Didn't buy one on the day cos' I had another offer from a friend who was selling his A4 later that afternoon. But I did take the A4 back to them for servicing every year and I had always been going in tasteless clothes and hair and they had always been giving me very nice A4/A6 as courtesy cars and last year they even gave me a 1.9TDI new A4! And they were always polite, I couldn't recommend them any more as they were really professional. And this year I bought a 1.8T Quattro Sport from them, in t-shirt and jeans again but no more blonde hair :-)
I'm just saying here that the Audi dealer here in Notts are pro, and please don't slack me off for ruining Audi's image by dressing in tasteless clothes and having weird hair cos' when I drive I dress nicely, cos' it's a respect I show to my most beloved cars.
Cheers, Jules
--
***24 hours in a day...24 beers in a case...coincidence?***
"Peter Bell" < snipped-for-privacy@invalid.org.uk> wrote in message
I might as well add to this long string of replies.
I purchased an Audi A6 Quatro from a local VW dealer up here in northern Minnesota. When I asked the VW dealer about service, the salesman said there wasn't much difference between VW and Audi. So I bought the car. Then when it came to service (after the sale) I got many excuses, such as their computer would not work on my A6, no manuals for it either.
I contacted Audi International and got the name of a dealer in Minneapolis, Minnesota, Carousel Automobiles.
What a world of difference. I also went there in my very own set of tasteless clothes. The treatment and service I received was just short of fabulous. A personal greeting when I drove in, they put plastic on the floor and seats, invited me in to their snack bar where there were not one but two 50" plasma televisions to watch and partake in a number of great food items. A while later I wondered into the show room. I was greeted and told to just look around and let them know if I had any questions or needed help. No high pressure sales. I did have some questions and they were very courteous and helpful. I looked at several of the pre owned vehicles. Later when they finished servicing my A6, the service advisor went over the service ticket and explained everything in detail. OH yes!, I almost forgot, they gave me a 2003 model in case I wanted to go somewhere while my car was there for service. The downside to the experience is Carousel Automobiles is about 150 miles south of me, but that is just fine. It is good to know there is a dealer that is ethical and knowledgeable. One final note is the service charges were very reasonable for the work they performed. I guess if they have the training and proper service equipment, the time spent diagnosing and repairing is kept to a minimum.
So I guess there are good dealership's out there, one just needs to find them.
Paul
(Curly) wrote:

[...]
One final thought, I also found I could have purchased the same model and year with a guarantee at the Audi dealership for less than I did at the VW dealer. OH well! Live and learn....