Audi Special tools

Hi,

I'm about to take on the job of changing my timing belt on my 100. In my research of the job I understand there are 2 special tools available, but hey are Over $150 !

Tools #'s 2079 & 2084

They are used for removal of crankshaft pulley and crankshaft bolt. Anyone know where to buy these at a reasonable price? Or are there improvised tools you can use instead?

TIA Steve

Reply to
~ ElektraMan ~

I got my 2084 from Zelenda Automotive in Forest Hills, NY (718) 896-2288 or (888) 892-8348. Sometimes they show up on ebay.

That's really all you need, and it can even be done without that. The other one is, if I recall, just a torque magnifier. You can achieve the same result with a breaker bar and extension.

To lock the camshaft sprocket, put a large screwdriver through the lifting eye and one of the camshaft sprocket holes.

Reply to
John Prendergast

Do a search in this newsgroup, we just discussed this last month for an Audi

100 or 5000. I use a brake adjusting tool to lock the driveplate/crank from moving while I loosen or tighten crank sprocket bolt.

dave

This is an I5? yes?

The screwdriver through the cam sprocket is a VERY high risk approach. (Belt can break and bend valves > pull head)

Another high risk idea is a screwdriver in the timing hole to hold the flywheel teeth. (Break teeth > pull the trans)

Some make their own tool for holding the crank. Others have had success by wrapping a strong rope around the dampener pulley.

I recommend buy> >

Reply to
Tony

That's only for loosening the cam sprocket bolt AFTER the crankshaft bolt has been loosened.

Reply to
John Prendergast