Audi TT Satellie Navigation

Hi,

Is the system fitted in the UK 2004 1.8 TT worth paying the extra for? I wasn't very impressed with the system fitted in my last car (Peugeot

206) as the dispay was difficult to read whilst moving.

Any comments or happy users?

What system does it use BTW? Is it another user of the Navtec maps? Thanks

UK Photographer

Display? What display?

All you get is an arrow and a voice prompt. Hence I got a Garmin (I like maps.. ;o)

Reply to
Hairy One Kenobi

You can't get the advanced version for the TT? Either way up it's too expensive. What happened to those rumours of Audi doing an aftermarket system?

andyt

Reply to
Andy Turner

Hadn't heard any rumours..

The display is in the DIS - there just isn't anywhere else to put it.

Aftermarket would be tricky, too; saying that, you can swap out the ashtray for a screen (it's been done). Not keen, myself, as you'd have to take your eyes a long way off of the road..

Mine used to look like this:

(it now looks like amore up-to-date model, courtesy of the other one being nicked :o\) Not thebest looking thing to see on a dashboard, but it works *extremely* well. The new one's even better when it comes to driving aboard - the km/h display is much larger than on the older model
H1K

Reply to
Hairy One Kenobi

Thanks for that advice,

In that case I think I will save the £1300 and buy something aftermarket.

Has anyone used the system at

?

Seems like a nice idea, apart from having to ring the call centre with your destination. But, no map display again. The bonus being you can use it as a Tracker too if someone nicks your car.

I could always buy an A to Z ;)

Many thanks

Reply to
Uk Photographer

Haven't used it myself - I have one of these:

Let's see.. a *very* reliable map covering the whole of Europe, large(-ish!) colour rolling map with automatic zoom, touch-screen control, and voice prompting. Oh, and it auto-routes for you as well..

About the only downside (apart from the cost!) is that the supplied card only covers a couple of countries.. there's a more expensive model that replaces this with a microdrive covering the entire continent.

Oh yeah, and you can upload & download routes from a PC as well..

HTH

H1K

Reply to
Hairy One Kenobi

I bought a HP palm computer and CoPilot nav system all for about £650 Benefits are:

Take it from car to car - even give it to my wife when she needs it! and its going to Australia with me for a tour later this year Address or postcode entry Accurate to the house number on a street European mapping on one flash card Colour rolling map with automatic zoom, touch-screen control, and voice prompting. auto-routing around problems. upload & download routes from a PC No personel tax as its not added to the value of the car No wiring as the 12 channel antenna is built in - even works well in high rises areas Oh and I also get full Internet connection at 57.7kbs so ideal for travel info Full e-mail/Word/Excel

Paying 2K or whatever it is now for a built in system is a complete waste of money nowadays. Always hated palm computers but this is where they come into their own. My advice would be not to get a built in system or a 'built-on' system like the Garmin as it's still only does one job.

Happy travelling!

Rich

Reply to
Richard Lawson

I've been looking at that one, but the price is too high. I'm considering one of these instead:

Graham

Have a look @

do a search on "navigation" There are plenty of aftermarket navigation options available!

Reply to
John West Berks

It looks interesting, but you should make sure that you take into account the "extras" you /might/ want - additional countries cost, as does the all-Europe software (EUR 200 for a rather chunky 4 CD-ROMs).

It's apparently being sold through the Dixons Group, so it might be an idea to look at it in the flesh (the pictures make it look fairly small, judging by the relative size of the mini-USB)

The feature set looks excellent, though. If you don't mind losing the voice-prompting and the automatic route recalculation (the GO looks to be manual only), then you'll be saving a few hundred quid.

The same shops sells the 2610 for £840; can't remember what I paid, but it was lower than that. Feature-wise (and touch screen aside), it looks to be more comparable with the StreetPilot III which (by a strange coincidence) is around the same price.

HTH

H1K

Reply to
Hairy One Kenobi

I would be interested if there was a US option or potentially a Spain option. Other than that, UK only would do for 99.9% of the time.

I was going to do just that, much easier to see. Although I hear that the Garmin devices are also stocked by Makro.

The Tom Tom does have voice guidance though, thats one feature I wouldn't want to lose. The route recalc would be handy I'll admit and the touch screen on the Tom Tom is a bonus.

Reply to
Graham

From the website, it looks to be European-based. A Spain (only!) card is mentioned, but not priced.

Out of experience in using thse sort of gizmos, I can heartily recommend having somthing either pan-European or selectable - to take a classic example, if you want to map the three hours from where I live to Brussels, via the Chunnel, you'll need to change maps twice each way - UK, a small section of France, and then Belgium. No idea if it has a built-in basemap, as in the Garmins (again, the web site isn't particularly clear on this)

Interesting.. I didn't see that mentioned on the website, either!

The StreetPilot III Deluxe also has both of these features (and is a fair bit cheaper than the 2610).

H1K

Reply to
Hairy One Kenobi

True, but... is the HP powered from the cigarette lighter socket? One problem with the Palm units (i.e. not the WinCE-based stuff) is that it relies on the internal Palm battery.

Which won't last long enough for a Continental journey..

Not quit sure about the (very!) high speed Internet connection, though - what's that, through a 3G card?

H1K

Reply to
Hairy One Kenobi