Audi100. 2.0Ltr. sal. 5cyl. Hreg

Hi Audi folk. I dont see any correspondence on LPgas convertion. Has anybody got some ideas as it seems to me a good proposition the way the price of petrol is going. JohnC

This question reminds me of something I've wondered about before. Perhaps someone here can lend some insight:
Here in the US, sales of fuel for vehicles includes a road tax that is supposed to be used for road maintenance. (Whether the money actually gets used for that purpose is another discussion entirely.) All gasoline sales include this tax (to the best of my knowledge -- even if you plan to use it in a lawn mower or a boat) and all diesel fuel sales that are intended for use in road vehicles are taxed as well. (Diesel fuel for off-road use only -- like heating furnace fuel or fuel used by farmers in their tractors -- is exempt from this road tax and is specially dyed to indicate such. Getting caught with inappropriately dyed diesel fuel in your road-going vehicle can result in substantial fines.) The intent seems to be the taxation all fuel used by road-going vehicles -- which would makes sense, given the aforementioned ostensible use of the money collected.
Now the question: Are propane-converted vehicles a loophole in this taxation program? Or are the owners of such propane-fueled vehicles required to obtain their fuel from someplace that imposes the appropriate road tax?
This question would seem to be even more pertinent in the UK and other European countries where vehicle fuels -- especially gasoline (petrol) -- are taxed far more than here in the US.
- Greg
--
1976 Cadillac Fleetwood 9-passenger sedan
1989 Audi 200TQ sedan