Audi100, '89: Clutch slave cylinder replace or new seals?

Hi everyone,

On my 1989 Audi 100, the clutch slave cylinder is leaking occasionally. I had the problem twice now, where I had to check the brake fluid level regularly for a few days and re-fill from time to time. At the time, a bit of brake fluid was dripping from the gear box. After a few days, the leak stopped again. Currently, it's not leaking.

It seems I have three options:

1) Just flush the whole system (brakes and clutch) with new brake fluid and otherwise wait and see.

2) Replace the clutch cylinder with a new one (third-party)

3) Buy the seals for $2 and put new seals into the clutch cylinder

I need to flush the brake fluid anyway, since that's probably not been done for the last 5 to 10 years.

How difficult is it to take the clutch slave out? Is there a procedure anywhere on the web? I didn't find anything except someone mentioning that there is a pin which is difficult to get out, but that was on a Turbo-Quattro.

I would appreciate any recommendations on what best to do in this case.

Thanks a lot,

Christoph

Reply to
Christoph Bollig

Flushing will not be likely to solve the problem.

Others who have done this have replaced the slave with new. It is enough of a PITA that if the seal kit doesn't correct the problem you don't want to have to do the job again.

The pin that was mentioned is a drive pin that, once out, allows the slave to be pulled out and replaced. The problem is that the slave in on the top of the bell housing just behind the engine and is awkward to get to but possible. You will need to have the car up on a lift or on jack stands. Even then it is hard to reach.

Try searching the history on:

Don't let the V8 reference worry you. This is the forum for the T44 series '84 - '91. the posters there are very helpful and have a wealth of knowledge from hands on experience.

I have rebuilt the clutch master cylinder on thee three times and never a slave so as long as you are doing the slave it would be a good time to rebuild the master also. The master is on the floorboard below the clutch pedal. Easy to see but, again, awkward to reach. You will need to shorten the short end of a metric Allen to loosen on of the hold-down bolts.

T> Hi everyone,

Reply to
Tony

Hi Tony,

Thanks for your advice. I can see the slave cylinder from the top, I guess the open space above the clutch is where the turbo sits in the turbo models. I will look whether I can see the pin when I am at the car the next time.

Christ> Flushing will not be likely to solve the problem.

Reply to
Christoph Bollig