B5 Recall ?

Anyone else with a A4-A6-A8 recieve a recall letter this morning, for boots on front bearing arms?
I will post a scan if anyone wants to see it
Ronny

Dear Ronny Had mine a couple of weeks ago, been in to Audi who agreed that they had already replaced mine and said they would make a claim on Audi UK. I might be eligible for a refund on the parts ! The part will have been noticed if you have a regular service so it should not be a safety issue just premature aging. Regards Richard A6 Avant 1998

I pick up my new car tommorow, but im wondering if I should pop in the dealer, did they charge you to fix the problem?
Ronny
Re call is free check. Free claim from Audi UK, it cost me full price plus labour to have them replaced last year though.
Regards Richard

Even though I got 160k miles on the clock??, anyway the car is going tommorow so I think ill pass the recall notice on the garage where I part ex the car into :)
Its been a good 4 yrs with the B5, will be a sad day, and a happy one lol because I pick up a B6 1.8T quattro :)
Ronny
Is this just for the UK?

Dont know tbh, I think it is
Ronny
Hi,
Here in Finland is the same campaign going on. The Audi dealer just checked and replased the bearing arms from both sides of my A4 1.8T 2000.
-Juho

boots
Is this it ?
April 2004: Worldwide recall of 870,000 1996-1999 Passat, 1994-1999 A4, 1997-1999 A6 and 1994-1999 A8s for "free check for possible damage of the rubber bellows of the front axle. The problem could lead to premature wear and, in isolated cases, to the failure of the bearing arm."
Richard
Just checked the forums. The recall hasn't been made official in North America yet.

the
wear
This information is from a uk based website. Sorry.
Richard

My scanner is broke, so heres 2 pics, sorry if its hard to make out, but I think you can read it
www.fsplanes.net/recall1.jpg
www.fsplanes.net/recall2.jpg
Ronny
www.fsplanes.net
Looks like this recall from your letter assuming your car falls within those age ranges. My car is a 2000 A4 so is not affected for some reason.
Richard

the
wear
Hi, i own a 2000 A4 1.9tdi
It has about 98.000km's on it and the previous time it was in, they said the front arms had some play on them. they had to be replaced the next time i go in for service. could this also be part of this recal? i haven't gotten any letter yet from audi. i live in belgium.
Kind regards

boots

the
go
any
Had my 96 A4 Avant checked yesterday - apparently its fine - but then it would be cos I spent a ton of money replacing 2 upper arms, the track control arm and the track rod end last Xmas (at 75K miles).
None of this is covered by the recall & so no refunds for me it seems.
There are apparently 4 arms on each side - 2 upper & 2 lower & this recall only covers one of the lower arms which , I think, is a complete sham.
Seems from what I've read, heard and experienced the front suspension on these cars is inherently weak. Who the hell ever heard of suspension arms/wishbones needing to be replaced at 60 or 70,000 miles??
I.
Hey everyone. I just returned from the Audi dealership having a service check to my 99'Audi A6 (61K miles) under the manufacturer Sevice Action JE Check Front Suspension Lower Control Arms recall. While the lower control arms were fine, I'm told that my driver's side upper control arm needs replacing. That cost is $800. I replaced torn CV boot on both sides 5 months ago and was told by the service rep that CV boots and the rubber boots referred to in the recall letter are not one and the same.
Do you think I have an aurguement towards fighting to get the dealer to replace the upper control arm? If not do you reccomend that I allow Audi to replace the control arm or another reputable service shop towards saving on the budget.

There are 4 arms on each side AIUI - 2 upper & 2 lower. The recall only covers the frontmost lower arm.
I had both the driver's side upper arms replaced on my A4 last December at 75K miles - its not covered by the current recall. I had the front lower arm replaced as well. Unfortunatly this was done by an independant & they used arms sourced directly from Lemforder instead of sourcing them through Audi. Lemforder actually make the arms for Audi but because the parts didn't come through the dealer network they won't refund me. The front suspension on these cars is obviously very crap. Who the heck ever heard of arms/wishbones needing replacing on any car at 60-70K miles?
The nearside lower front arm was replaced at 60K under the warranty just under a year after I bought the thing 3 or 4 years ago....
I feel a letter to Audi coming on.....(followed by an E-mail to BBC watchdog!)
I.

boots
Yep, I wouldn't mind. I've got a feeling the B5 is the Mk2 A6 shape though, not the early shape like I've got - am I right?
Peter

No, B5 chassis is the original A4!
If your A6 is the first series (based on the Audi 100), then it's a C4 chassis.

Ah - it's just the way he mentioned A4 and A6 together that confused me. Not that that's difficult to do.
Peter