B5 Recall ?

Anyone else with a A4-A6-A8 recieve a recall letter this morning, for boots on front bearing arms?

I will post a scan if anyone wants to see it

Ronny

Reply to
ronny

Richard Wall

Is this just for the UK?

Reply to
Mark1.8T

I pick up my new car tommorow, but im wondering if I should pop in the dealer, did they charge you to fix the problem?

Ronny

Reply to
ronny

Dont know tbh, I think it is

Ronny

Reply to
ronny

Re call is free check. Free claim from Audi UK, it cost me full price plus labour to have them replaced last year though.

Reply to
Richard Wall

Hi,

Here in Finland is the same campaign going on. The Audi dealer just checked and replased the bearing arms from both sides of my A4 1.8T 2000.

-Juho

Reply to
Juho

Even though I got 160k miles on the clock??, anyway the car is going tommorow so I think ill pass the recall notice on the garage where I part ex the car into :)

Its been a good 4 yrs with the B5, will be a sad day, and a happy one lol because I pick up a B6 1.8T quattro :)

Ronny

Reply to
ronny

Is this it ?

April 2004: Worldwide recall of 870,000 1996-1999 Passat, 1994-1999 A4,

1997-1999 A6 and 1994-1999 A8s for "free check for possible damage of the rubber bellows of the front axle. The problem could lead to premature wear and, in isolated cases, to the failure of the bearing arm."

Richard

Reply to
Richard Goulding

Just checked the forums. The recall hasn't been made official in North America yet.

Reply to
Mark1.8T

This information is from a uk based website. Sorry.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Goulding

My scanner is broke, so heres 2 pics, sorry if its hard to make out, but I think you can read it

Ronny

ronny

Hi, i own a 2000 A4 1.9tdi

It has about 98.000km's on it and the previous time it was in, they said the front arms had some play on them. they had to be replaced the next time i go in for service. could this also be part of this recal? i haven't gotten any letter yet from audi. i live in belgium.

Kind regards

"ronny" schreef in bericht news:voh4d.173$% snipped-for-privacy@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...

Reply to
kenny

Looks like this recall from your letter assuming your car falls within those age ranges. My car is a 2000 A4 so is not affected for some reason.

Reply to
Richard Goulding

Had my 96 A4 Avant checked yesterday - apparently its fine - but then it would be cos I spent a ton of money replacing 2 upper arms, the track control arm and the track rod end last Xmas (at 75K miles).

None of this is covered by the recall & so no refunds for me it seems.

There are apparently 4 arms on each side - 2 upper & 2 lower & this recall only covers one of the lower arms which , I think, is a complete sham.

Seems from what I've read, heard and experienced the front suspension on these cars is inherently weak. Who the hell ever heard of suspension arms/wishbones needing to be replaced at 60 or 70,000 miles??

I.

Reply to
Iain Miller

Yep, I wouldn't mind. I've got a feeling the B5 is the Mk2 A6 shape though, not the early shape like I've got - am I right?

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

No, B5 chassis is the original A4!

If your A6 is the first series (based on the Audi 100), then it's a C4 chassis.

Reply to
Peter Bell

Ah - it's just the way he mentioned A4 and A6 together that confused me. Not that that's difficult to do.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Hey everyone. I just returned from the Audi dealership having a service check to my 99'Audi A6 (61K miles) under the manufacturer Sevice Action JE Check Front Suspension Lower Control Arms recall. While the lower control arms were fine, I'm told that my driver's side upper control arm needs replacing. That cost is $800. I replaced torn CV boot on both sides 5 months ago and was told by the service rep that CV boots and the rubber boots referred to in the recall letter are not one and the same.

Do you think I have an aurguement towards fighting to get the dealer to replace the upper control arm? If not do you reccomend that I allow Audi to replace the control arm or another reputable service shop towards saving on the budget.

Reply to
Redbullet

There are 4 arms on each side AIUI - 2 upper & 2 lower. The recall only covers the frontmost lower arm.

I had both the driver's side upper arms replaced on my A4 last December at

75K miles - its not covered by the current recall. I had the front lower arm replaced as well. Unfortunatly this was done by an independant & they used arms sourced directly from Lemforder instead of sourcing them through Audi. Lemforder actually make the arms for Audi but because the parts didn't come through the dealer network they won't refund me. The front suspension on these cars is obviously very crap. Who the heck ever heard of arms/wishbones needing replacing on any car at 60-70K miles?

The nearside lower front arm was replaced at 60K under the warranty just under a year after I bought the thing 3 or 4 years ago....

I feel a letter to Audi coming on.....(followed by an E-mail to BBC watchdog!)

I.

Reply to
Iain Miller