Backup Lights Question

It's the new guys again:

Backup lights on an '89 200 TQ. I'm getting nothing. I've got a good fuse (slot 12, 15 amp), and good bulbs. Is there a trigger, switch, module, or relay I need to check?

Not long ago I lost low beams and it ended up being a module off of the back of the headlamp wiring. Cheap and easy fix, and I'm hoping for the same here. My driveway is a drag during the day, at night you cross you fingers and hope all goes well when you can't see behind you.

As always, thanks.

Bill Graham

Reply to
Bill Graham

Might be cheap and easy if it is what I would suspect.

The type 44s have a characteristic of breaking the wires in the trunk right where they enter the hinge to go back to the lights. They all do this eventually due to bending when opening and closing the trunk.

If the wires are broken just crawl in there and reconnect them. I just did mine tonight. All five wires had broken. Soldering is difficult because it is above your head. Use crimp connectors.

I have done this on all three of my previous type 44s. Sort of a right of passage : )

T> It's the new guys again:

Reply to
TonyJ

Glad to know another trait. I'll check it tonight.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Graham

Two wires were frayed, brown and light blue. Wired them back up, but I still have no backup lights. I'll keep looking for wires, but is there not a relay or a switch elsewhere that might be the culprit?

Thanks,

Bill

Reply to
Bill Graham

You may find a bad fuse in the box by the left hood hinge.

The back up light switch must be on the shift linkage or trans but I am not sure where. Just look for wires in those areas and you should be able to find it.

Reply to
TonyJ

I'll check that. Since I'm new at Audi's I'll have to find it first, but I've got the Bentley.

Fuses, bulbs, and now wires all appear to be good.

On a side note: I love driving this car!

Thanks,

Bill

Reply to
Bill Graham

What part did you replace? I have the exact same problem! Maybe I won't call my mechanic after all seeing as how you say it was easy...

-- Taylor

'89 Audi 200 '03 Audi S6 Avant '98 Jeep Cherokee Sport

Reply to
Just Taylor

On my car:

There's some wiring behind the passenger side headlamp. In this mess of wires, there was a small square three-pronged module. It just kind of hangs there. That's what was replaced. I don't know the values of the module or the part number, but I'll look on what's there now and see if I can find more out. The original was a dull grey, the replacement is bright yellow and says Ford on it.

Good luck.

Bill

--------------------- '89 200 Quattro Turbo

Reply to
Bill Graham

Sorry, same problem as in no low beams, or no backup lights? I posted the low beam fix that worked for me, but I still have no backup lights. I've been advised of a switch on the transmission that should be checked, but I haven't looked for/at that yet.

Thanks,

Bill

--------------------- '89 200 Quattro Turbo

Reply to
Bill Graham

Reply to
TonyJ

Your first answer was correct, I just lost my low beam headlights. I don't drive the 200 as much so it hasn't been a big problem and I haven't had time to look into it either.... what parts did you end up buying? TIA...

-- Taylor

'89 Audi 200 '03 Audi S6 Avant '98 Jeep Cherokee Sport

Reply to
Just Taylor

The relay says FORD (logo) G1UHD 40A on it. There are some more numbers, but I didn't have time to write them down yet. Let me know if you need all of them.

Thanks,

Bill

1989 Audi 200TQ

Reply to
Bill Graham

Sounds to me that a PO had converted the lights to relay operation and the module you are looking for is nothing more that a standard 30A headlight relay available from your local parts store.

I converted my 100Q to relay a few months ago and bought the relays and connections from a local parts store. Ended up just letting the relays hang from the wire bundle behind the headlights on the driver side like you described about yours.