Bad Drivers

Page 1 of 4
While I am home safely from a 724 mile trip to a wedding south of Roanoke, Virginia, I remained amazed at the terrible driving habits of people from Virginia and Connecticut.
We drove the RS6 down on Thursday with Biblical rain storms all the way. Cow pissin' on a flat rock? Try the entire herd! Traffic was light, so things went fairly well. But, coming home on Sunday.........
It was impossible to move most Virginia drivers from the fast lane. A hand-held nuclear device would not have helped. One woman in a Saturn insisted on staying in the fast lane while driving 62 mph. She had traffic backed up for 200 yards in both lanes. I finally managed to pass her (after about ten other cars/semis did) on the right side. I'm sure she felt that she was not breaking any laws, but by not staying to the right, she was.
She wasn't the only one. It was like a swarm of left lane bandits came out of the Virginia hills and took up station in the left lane driving below the speed limit. When a trailer truck passes you going up hill, you have *got* to see the error of your ways. But no, not those Virginia drivers. Lane discipline means nothing to them. And where the hell are the cops? These drivers are holding up traffic. The worst place you want to be while driving is in a large pod of moving cars/trucks. Get the hell out of the way and let the traffic find its rhythm. The left lane hogs are far more dangerous by holding up traffic than someone speeding 10 or 15 mpy over the speed limit.
And Connecticut! Same thing, only bigger yuppie style cars, and you have to contend with left lane exits. Who is the brilliant traffic engineer to dreamed that one up?
Anyway, rant mode off. Flame suit on.
Dave RS6
Dave LaCourse wrote:
[snip sad tale of common occurance]

No flames here, Dave. Go to rec.autos.driving - this is the biggest issue for folks over there. LLBs and folks oblivious to their surroundings are a blight on our roadways.
Over there, the term used for the Saturn occupant (not to call her a driver in any sense) is MFFY - me first, fsck you.
I get it driving here in WA as well - the I-5 corridor is filled with folks who cannot grasp the state law saying "keep right except to pass." (KRETP). Oh, and those brain-dead "enablers" - the folks that will let anyone zoom up and cut into line, or wave at you at an intersection where they legally have the right of way, but feel the need to show "courtesy."
Yes, r.a.d. is the place where we talk about this...
E.P.
On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 16:55:45 -0700, gcmschemist wrote:

I agree, most of america is infested with poor, rude drivers, lacking manners and road skills, I too have spent many years in Europe driving and having to unlearn much of what I have seen in the US. As far east as Greece and Isreal they drive far better than they do here. I think part of it is the proliferation of the automatic transmission. ( Standing by for flaming) many people that should not have drivers licenses drive these vehicles.
David Timothy Jones wrote:

There's some truth in that. Moving a car (note: not _driving_ it) becomes like using a toy. This is slowly coming up here too, but it's not as bad yet.
Regards
Wolfgang
On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 23:09:23 -0400, David Timothy Jones

d;o) I taught both of my daughters (age 43 and 37) how to drive using "three on the tree" in an old pick-up. The first cars they owned had 5 speeds. One ended up teaching her husband how to drive a stick.
My two oldest grandsons drive Audis - 94 S4, and 2000 A6.
Dave
On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 14:27:06 -0400, Dave LaCourse

I also learned how to drive with a stick shift, in a ubiquitous VW Beetle; my parents wouldn't let me drive the Olds Delta 88 automatic. Now I'm on my third Audi/VW product, a 98.5 A4, preceded by a 95 Passat VRX and an 85 4000S (I loved that old Audi and really should have kept her, but the breaking door handles were starting to make me crazy).

I thought you were allowed to pass on either side in the US?
--
Skipweasel.
Ivor Cutler - "Never knowingly understood."

No, you're supposed to pass on the left only.

Ah. There goes another myth!
--
Skipweasel.
Ivor Cutler - "Never knowingly understood."

Actually, you can pass on the right. Folks do it all the time. But, if there is someone in the right lane going about the same speed as the jerk in the left lane, it creates a traffic jam. People were passing the offending woman on the right, blowing their horns as they did so.
Dave
As I remember, it your "allowed" to pass on the right on a divided road. (In MA laws) Now in VT your able to pass on a double yellow as long as there isn't a sign saying that you can't.
--
Do not go where the path may lead...
Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Correct. In VT the pass on double yellow also includes "if it is safe to do," meaning, if you cause an accident, you're dead meat.
Another traffic law in VT is: if the speed limit is not posted, you revert to the state's official speed limit which is 55 mph. My wife and I used to rally in New England and once on one in Vermont, I passed several cars on a dirt road *without a posted speed limit*.
At rally headquarters later that afternoon, a Trooper came looking for me and my silver 200 Turbo Quattro. He backed off when told the law about unposted roads. I passed the cars safely and without shooting gravel at them. They were locals and didn't like the fact that 40 strange cars were going down their roads. And, I don't blame them.
Dave RS6

We have a similar system in the UK, except that the default speed limit is variable according to the class of road.
http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/09.htm#103
--
Skipweasel.
Ivor Cutler - "Never knowingly understood."
KLS wrote:

Would that that were true. In most places in the US, there is no law that says you must pass on the left, or that you must stay right when not passing. That sure would be nice, but it just ain't so.
-- Mike Smith
On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 15:05:10 -0400, Mike Smith

Most states that I am familiar with have a "keep right except to pass" traffic law, and you will see the signs saying so. Some states even give a diagram sign that points out the passing lane, travel lane, and merge/slow lane.
Dave
On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 15:54:39 -0400, Dave LaCourse

This is what I see where I drive, mostly in New York and Ohio.
KLS wrote:

I've lived in New York State since I was 5 years old, and I have never seen such a diagram on a highway sign. Sure, at intersections, the turning vs. through lanes are often painted on the road, but signs on major highways enforcing rechtsfahren? Tell me where.
-- Mike Smith
On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 19:32:38 -0400, Mike Smith

Mass, CT, and NY. NY has a sign saying "passing lane/travel lane/slow lane". Common sense should be enough for a driver to know not to drive below the speed limit in the fast lane. Common sense should be enough for a driver to know that he has traffic stacked up behind him while in the fast lane. But, then again, ain't too many US drivers with common sense. Take a trip to Europe - you'll learn real quickly.

Particularly in the UK. Driving on the wrong side of the road's a very short steep learning curve, and falling off it hurts.
--
Skipweasel.
Ivor Cutler - "Never knowingly understood."

LOL