Bad Drivers

Page 2 of 4
On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 21:59:15 -0400, Dave LaCourse

What Dave said, about both the sign and the European driving experience.
On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 19:32:38 -0400, Mike Smith

Forgot to ask: Do you agree the law says "keep right except to pass"?

I think it's more of a suggestion than something that could get you a ticket. The wording may be different. I seem to remember the NJ turnpike signs read "slower traffic keep right". Additionally trucks are not allowed in the left lane there (though at some points they have their own lanes).
The thing that I notice about the "fast" lane is that many seem to think their amount of speeding is all right, but anything faster is just crazy so they're not moving over.
--Art
Art M wrote:

In most states, "keep right except to pass" is codified into law. When it's posted on rectangular black&white signs (like speed limit signs), it's not advisory. (Like diamond black and yellow signs.)
Enforcement is just about non-existant, however.
E.P.
On 15 Jul 2005 08:53:41 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I've asked police friends of mine about left lane bandits and they say they *do* give them a ticket when it is outrageous (i.e., 50 in a 65). The uncaring culprit is guilty of "cruising" according to my friends.
On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 11:15:11 -0400, "Art M"

In other words they are saying, "I will select your speed limit." Never escalate. Never impede. If I am traveling in the fast lane, it is because I am passing someone, or I am in a line of traffic. When I pass someone, I pull into the right (or center) lane, especially if there is someone behind me. He wants to go faster -- who am I to deny him? Left lane bandits are more dangerous than speeders - not as dangerous as tailgaters, but right up there with causes for accidents.
Dave
BTW, the signs I saw were in CT. Mass has "keep right except to pass" as many (all) states have.

I drive south on Rt. 95 from NH to MA every morning. The 3rd lane of 4 is filled with clueless dopes going 55-60, sometimes even less, who aren't passing anyone, they're just forcing others to clog up the 4th lane. 90% of these people are from Maine, where their own Maine Turnpike has signs to keep right. I use headlights, horn and/or quick French-style lane returns after passing in an effort to get them to see they're in the wrong lane. 1 in an 50 will move over.
It's our own home-grown problem and here's an example. A couple months ago, I pick up my son from driver's ed class. Next to me is a guy apparently picking up his son. The son hops in the SUV, neither one is buckled up. The dog is on the the driver's lap. Leaving, no turn signals are used and he just whips through a stop sign. Good example Dad! And I see cops breaking common rules almost daily. How the hell is the average Joe supposed to drive well?
I've driven in Germany, France, Austria and Switzerland and all over the US. We just suck when it comes to driving. I think a lot of it is the "it's a free country, I'll do what I want" attitude. The rest is just ignorance of what's going on around them. Very lame.
Glad I didn't get started about cell phones.... :)
--
- Kyle

from snipped-for-privacy@horsehill.net (Kyle Tucker) contains these words:

We get that here, too. A local copper was nicked recently for doing nearly 60mph in a 30mph zone and 159mph in a 70mph zone. Worse, he got off.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2005/05/19/nspeed19.xml
--
Skipweasel.
Ivor Cutler - "Never knowingly understood."
On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 16:49:39 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@horsehill.net (Kyle Tucker) wrote:

d;o) Yes. Let us not venture into that hornet's nest.
Son's taking driver's ed, eh? Do him and his mom a favor and enroll him in the Stevens Advanced Driver Training, aka Skid School. Their site is www.msada.org. School is half day, typically 16 students with four new Volvos. Cost is $300, with Mass Auto Dealers Assoc. picking up $150.
They emphasize abs braking (and non-abs braking to those who want it), car handling (starting with proper seating and hands positions), emergency reaction, tailgating, and the dangers of backing-up. Great school. I used to work for Stevens when he taught cops (VT, Md, MA) and if I sponsor a kid, he will use me as a demonstrations driver for the kids' parents.
Dave

Well he's had his license for a few months now, but we are real ball-busters about driving correctly *and* wearing seatbelts. I read about this course in the Globe's Automobile section one week. According to the website's schedule notes, it's only open to residents of certain Massachusetts towns listed, depending on which session.
--
- Kyle

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 17:47:30 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@horsehill.net (Kyle Tucker) wrote:

Anyone in Massachusetts may attend. The towns listed are *where* the school will be taught on those days. I usually use Devens (the old airfield runways) when I sponsor a kid. I've sponsored about 4 or 5 this year so far. You can choose which site you want, i.e., Ayer (Devens), Bedford, West Springfield, etc.
It sounds like you are giving him what he needs, but believe me, he will benefit greatly from all the exercises in Stevens' school. And, he (and you) will have a ball doing it. d;o)
Dave

http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=mg18725083.200
--
Skipweasel.
Ivor Cutler - "Never knowingly understood."
Dave LaCourse wrote:

In some states, maybe, but certainly not every state. And the law means nothing if it is not enforced.
-- Mike Smith
Dave LaCourse wrote:

Here is the relevant law for NY:
http://assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?cl 8&aI
While it's clear about not driving on the left side of a road (i.e. in the wrong lane), and it does indicate that one should pass on the left where possible (although it also allows for passing on the right), it does not say "stay right except to pass". There's nothing in the NY law that says you can't park your ass in the left lane of a divided highway and do 55 mph till the cows come home.
-- Mike Smith
On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 03:54:41 -0400, Mike Smith

And I suspect you would feel right at home doing just that. No common sense, lad?
Dave LaCourse wrote:

No, he's just a MFFY driver. (Me first, fsck you.)
Drive right, pass left, leave speed enforcement to the professionals. It's called "common courtesy", which seems to be quite uncommon.
E.P.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Where the hell do you guys get off concluding that I don't drive-right/ pass-left, just because I cited a NYS law? Boy, aren't we prejudiced around here...
-- Mike Smith
Dave LaCourse wrote:

Keep your insults to yourself, asshole. I never said *I* drive that way, or that I think people *should* drive that way, I was simply citing the relevant law in New York State. Jump to conclusions much?
-- Mike Smith
On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 13:26:49 -0400, Mike Smith

Tweeeet! Name calling. I win. Thank you for playing.
Dave LaCourse wrote:

I believe you're the one who insulted me first. And if you consider it a "game", then you're no better than a troll anyway.
-- Mike Smith