Bad Drivers

Page 3 of 4
On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 14:16:04 -0400, Mike Smith

My, my. Mike has a temper. That's ok. I was young once myself. I know how it is.
Be well. (And I mean that.)
Dave d;o)
Dave LaCourse wrote:

You call me a bad driver with absolutely no evidence to support it, I call you on it, and now I'm "young" with a "temper". Uh, huh.
-- Mike Smith
On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 18:22:41 -0400, Mike Smith

Where did I call you a bad driver, Mike? You are reading much more into all of this than there really is. You obviously have a thin skin (hence the temper?).
I say again: There are very bad drivers out there hanging in the left lane on two/three/four lane highways. It is a problem. *Most* states have a "keep right except to pass" law and post it on their roads. Now, if NY doesn't, that's probably why many of the NY drivers that I see in my travels are very poor drivers who think that the left lane is *their* lane, and to hell with everyone else. I see it on my twice yearly trips to Ontario to fly fish. I see in on my twice yearly trips across the state on I84, and look forward to crossing the Delaware into PA. If you drive without care in the left lane, then you are a bad driver, period!
Dave LaCourse wrote:

Um, here?
Me: There's nothing in the NY law that says you can't park your ass in the left lane of a divided highway and do 55 mph till the cows come home.
You: And I suspect you would feel right at home doing just that. No common sense, lad?
Oh, I'm sorry: You didn't call me a bad driver, you merely *suspected* me of being a bad driver, for no reason other than that I stated my understanding of NY traffic law, while never saying that I *liked* it.
-- Mike Smith
Dave, Sorry to say I had to stifle a chuckle when I thought of you holding back the reins of the RS6, surrounded by dozy drivers....talk about frusternation (in Virginia-speak). Sorry to hear about it.....no really.....I am. Cheers! Steve Sears 1987 Audi 5kTQ - people don't get out of the way for me, either, and I'm in Ontario! 1980 Audi 5k - people don't need to get out of the way 1962 and '64 Auto Union DKW Junior deLuxes - can't get out of it's own way. (SPAM Blocker NOTE: Remove SHOES to reply)

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 11:45:08 -0400, "Steve Sears"

Although I do drive fast, I've never caused an accident except the time I hit a male deer with my '94 S4. I wasn't the only driver suffering "frusternation" (like that word) trying to get by that women. Even truck drivers were blowing their horns. d;o(

Now *that* is funny! d;o)
Dave
Don't want to make this a UK/US debate - but you've pretty much summed up all of my driving experiences in the US - anywhere!!
Still, we get our fair share of "fast lane hoggers" in the UK too. Problem here is that the driving test doesn't include any motorway driving, so no-one learns how to do it properly.
Just come back from nearly 3 weeks in France - now they know how to drive! the vast majority of motorways are 2-lanes and they all flow beautifully no mater how much traffic there is, but I think that comes from the fact that they are taught to drive properly in the first place.
Matt.
Dave LaCourse wrote:

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 08:22:49 +0000 (UTC), Matthew Maddock

I once taught police officers high performance driving but had to give it up a couple of years ago because of health (age). Most will tell you that the worst thing out there is tailgating, but they give few tickets for it because they have no hard evidence (i.e., radar) to use in court. Most won't bother to give a ticket for 10 mph over in a 65 mph because that is usually the speed most folks are going.
The trouble begins at the learner's level. Most driving schools emphasize parallell and can't even get hand positioning correct. The same school I taught is now teaching teenagers. I've sponsored several friends' children and attend the school and teach that day. These kids know nothing about driving except how to put the car in gear and move. They all know how to parallell park, however. It is very scarey. Hopefully the school will leave a lasting impression on them and help them to survive today's crowded highways.
Their parents attend the school to observe, and I usually take them for a demo ride through each of the exercises. Hopefully they too will take home some proper driving techniques.
I have driven in France, Switzerland, and Germany. You are correct - they are excellent drivers and very unforgiving for us rude Americans.
Dave

It's very regional. My wife and I lived in West London for several years, but now when we go back we're startled at how aggressive the driving is compared to here in Telford. We don't really get traffic here so people don't get het up so easily.
As for the continent - well, Madrid's dreadful to drive in, but the Spanish countryside is fine - the drivers are relaxed and don't bother pushing.
Paris is a hoot if you don't mind joining in the spirit of adventure the Parisians have in their driving. Place d'Etoiles for example, has lane markings, but no on uses 'em - you just choose an exit and head for it however you fancy.
--
Skipweasel.
Ivor Cutler - "Never knowingly understood."

That's not entirely true. As an instructor (some years ago) I used to take learners on the A40 round Uxbridge 'cos it was so like a motorway (hard shoulders, emergency phones, slip-roads etc) that it gave 'em a chance to see what a motorway was like. I also gave away a 2hr motorway lesson to anyone who recommended a friend. About a third of drivers got on in the long run. There's also the PassPlus system which involves motoway driving.
--
Skipweasel.
Ivor Cutler - "Never knowingly understood."
So Dave, you only had a hint of NJ drivers, assuming you took the NJ Turnpike.... I learned to drive in Massachusetts and lived there for 15 years and thought THEY were bad until I moved to NJ.... They are the WORST here, as you have a lot of people that really don't know how to drive but do it fast anyways. And the more clapped-out the car is, the faster they go. Talk about frusternation!
Dan D '04 A4 1.8Tq MT-6 Central NJ USA

I didn't take the NJ turnpike. I used I84 and I81 to avoid NY, NJ, MD, and DC. You are correct about Mass drivers, but they aren't as bad as VA or CT, and we won't even mention NY. d;o)
I have avoided the I95 corridor for more than 20 years, and do not miss it.
On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 11:57:39 -0400, Dave LaCourse

If you mean NY drivers as in the NYC area, ok. But in western NY, we're not so bad, really! Quite a few of us have the good sense to own/drive Audi Quattros and Subarus.
Dave LaCourse wrote:

That's pretty amazing how you drove on I84 and I81, and yet managed to avoid New York. I've never been able to pull that one off, myself.
-- Mike Smith
Left lane cruising is epidemic here in Louisiana-- it should be a capital offense, IMHO... I often dream of the traffic laws here changing to favor the German standard where rear-ended collisions in the left lane of the expressway are the person in front's fault for not getting out of the damn way!

... whereas right lane cruising causes us a problem in the UK.
I wonder what would happen if we sent all our right lane cruisers over to you and you sent your left lane cruisers here?

Ever heard of reverse polarity, Peter? Your rightlaners would love our left lanes. d;o)

They'd all form a concretion along the central reservation, which I think you call the median strip.
--
Skipweasel.
Ivor Cutler - "Never knowingly understood."
I swear I think the driving instructors in Louisiana high schools were British! Not only do they use the left lane on the freeway, they ALL hug the curb on the left side of the median when doing a U-turn... dumb, dumb, dumb!!

*THAT* would be a beautiful thing.