Bad Drivers

*THAT* would be a beautiful thing.
Reply to
KLS

I swear I think the driving instructors in Louisiana high schools were British! Not only do they use the left lane on the freeway, they ALL hug the curb on the left side of the median when doing a U-turn... dumb, dumb, dumb!!

Reply to
Jay Jones

In some states, maybe, but certainly not every state. And the law means nothing if it is not enforced.

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

Here is the relevant law for NY:

While it's clear about not driving on the left side of a road (i.e. in the wrong lane), and it does indicate that one should pass on the left where possible (although it also allows for passing on the right), it does not say "stay right except to pass". There's nothing in the NY law that says you can't park your ass in the left lane of a divided highway and do 55 mph till the cows come home.

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

And I suspect you would feel right at home doing just that. No common sense, lad?

Reply to
Dave LaCourse

No, he's just a MFFY driver. (Me first, fsck you.)

Drive right, pass left, leave speed enforcement to the professionals. It's called "common courtesy", which seems to be quite uncommon.

E.P.

Reply to
gcmschemist

I've asked police friends of mine about left lane bandits and they say they *do* give them a ticket when it is outrageous (i.e., 50 in a 65). The uncaring culprit is guilty of "cruising" according to my friends.

Reply to
Dave LaCourse

Keep your insults to yourself, asshole. I never said *I* drive that way, or that I think people *should* drive that way, I was simply citing the relevant law in New York State. Jump to conclusions much?

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

Where the hell do you guys get off concluding that I don't drive-right/ pass-left, just because I cited a NYS law? Boy, aren't we prejudiced around here...

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

Tweeeet! Name calling. I win. Thank you for playing.

Reply to
Dave LaCourse

I believe you're the one who insulted me first. And if you consider it a "game", then you're no better than a troll anyway.

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

That's pretty amazing how you drove on I84 and I81, and yet managed to avoid New York. I've never been able to pull that one off, myself.

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

My, my. Mike has a temper. That's ok. I was young once myself. I know how it is.

Be well. (And I mean that.)

Dave d;o)

Reply to
Dave LaCourse

I agree, most of america is infested with poor, rude drivers, lacking manners and road skills, I too have spent many years in Europe driving and having to unlearn much of what I have seen in the US. As far east as Greece and Isreal they drive far better than they do here. I think part of it is the proliferation of the automatic transmission. ( Standing by for flaming) many people that should not have drivers licenses drive these vehicles.

Reply to
David Timothy Jones

There's some truth in that. Moving a car (note: not _driving_ it) becomes like using a toy. This is slowly coming up here too, but it's not as bad yet.

Regards

Wolfgang

Reply to
Wolfgang Pawlinetz

d;o) I taught both of my daughters (age 43 and 37) how to drive using "three on the tree" in an old pick-up. The first cars they owned had

5 speeds. One ended up teaching her husband how to drive a stick.

My two oldest grandsons drive Audis - 94 S4, and 2000 A6.

Dave

Reply to
Dave LaCourse

I also learned how to drive with a stick shift, in a ubiquitous VW Beetle; my parents wouldn't let me drive the Olds Delta 88 automatic. Now I'm on my third Audi/VW product, a 98.5 A4, preceded by a 95 Passat VRX and an 85 4000S (I loved that old Audi and really should have kept her, but the breaking door handles were starting to make me crazy).

Reply to
KLS

You call me a bad driver with absolutely no evidence to support it, I call you on it, and now I'm "young" with a "temper". Uh, huh.

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

Where did I call you a bad driver, Mike? You are reading much more into all of this than there really is. You obviously have a thin skin (hence the temper?).

I say again: There are very bad drivers out there hanging in the left lane on two/three/four lane highways. It is a problem. *Most* states have a "keep right except to pass" law and post it on their roads. Now, if NY doesn't, that's probably why many of the NY drivers that I see in my travels are very poor drivers who think that the left lane is *their* lane, and to hell with everyone else. I see it on my twice yearly trips to Ontario to fly fish. I see in on my twice yearly trips across the state on I84, and look forward to crossing the Delaware into PA. If you drive without care in the left lane, then you are a bad driver, period!

Reply to
Dave LaCourse

Um, here?

Me: There's nothing in the NY law that says you can't park your ass in the left lane of a divided highway and do 55 mph till the cows come home.

You: And I suspect you would feel right at home doing just that. No common sense, lad?

Oh, I'm sorry: You didn't call me a bad driver, you merely *suspected* me of being a bad driver, for no reason other than that I stated my understanding of NY traffic law, while never saying that I *liked* it.

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith