Battery is almost dead on my '01 A4 2.8q

Does anyone know how I can replace the battery without going back to the dealer. Im at 53k miles right now, and I don't want to spend more than I really have to.
I did buy a 46-D battery from Autozone but that thing is much smaller than the Audi one in dimensions. Also the the Audi battery has a little transparent tube that comes out from the side that the Autozone battery cannot support...
Anyone has any ideas what I must do to get a new battery in there?
Jawaan

Interstate MTP-91 1-800-crankit

Putting money into a high-quality battery can be a good thing. They last longer, are more reliable, and have better winter performance (if that is important to you.) Having a 7-year battery can give you good peace-of-mind.
Without some sort of spending parameters, it's hard to make a recommendation. IIRC, many of the batteries come from the same manufacturer, and are merely rebadged to sell in specific stores. I have a vague recollection of this being discussed in some automotive newsgroup about a year ago. I realize that doesn't help much, but it gives you a starting place. Ooops, pardon the pun. ;)
Spider
I've heard that the DieHard International (may have to be special-ordered from Sears) fits without issues.
Cheers,
Pete

Get a good quality battery, with the same power CCA as the OEM unit for your car, the little pipe that comes out is to divert any acid that may come out of the battery away from the battery tray & help cut down corrosion, think the way the newer Audis are designed is pretty bad, pretty sad when Audi build cars that wont even let the owner change their own battery, a easy way round this is to source a remote keyfob 12v battery, connect or solder 2 pieces of wire to it, bare off the ends & wrap the wire around the battery lead connections when you remove the battery, thus still giving current to the cars brain, put your new battery on & remove the small battery & wires, car wont know any difference!
Steve.

What are you talking about? I changed the battery on my A4 and all I had to do was reenter the radio code. Big deal! I bought my replacement battery at Autozone and it was an exact fit with the little tube as well. The OP may have got the wrong battery. Here in Arizona, batteries die quite quickly - often in three years, almost certainly in five. I buy one at a place like Autozone and then get it replaced under warranty when it dies. Even pro-rationing doesn't wind up costing much.

On newer Audis when you remove the battery it causes an error code which sometimes makes the engine rpm tick over higher than normal, around 1600 rpm, this needs to be re set using the dealers plug in computer, or somthing similar, there are 2 old sayings that come to mind, 1. you learn something new every day, 2. when in doubt leave well alone,
Steve.

This is called throttle body adaptation, or TBA, and needs to be done every time power is disconnected from the ECU. However, you do not have to go to the dealer to perform a TBA. All you need to do is, after you connect the battery, turn the key in the ignition to second position (but not turning on the engine), and wait for two minutes without touching the gas pedal. During that time, the car performs the TBA. You'll hear all kinds of hissing noises coming from the engine bay while this is taking place. After 2 minutes, you can start the engine.
The error code will still be stored in the ECU indicating that a power loss occured; however, it is harmless and will not cause any warning lights to show up on the dashboard. It can be erased the next time you wind up at the dealer.
Cheers,
Pete
Pete wrote:

Good info, thanks.