Beeps on startup

Hi all,
My 1998 US spec A4 V6 Quattro beeped at me this morning when I started the car.
I turned the key, the engine started, and idled, and then 3 longish
beeps sounded. It didn't happen the next time I started the car. I didn't drive the car yesterday, so it had been sitting for two days. And it ran just fine.
I've checked the manual and big service manual and I can't seem to find any mention of beeping.
Any ideas?
Thanks.

where did the beeps come from...horn, stereo, alarm speaker ???
They seemed to come from the instrument panel.
There were no warnings indicated on the instrument panel.

When you first turn the ign on, before cranking, do you see the Oil light, ABS light and Brake light come on? I am thinking it is an ABS problem sound.
--
later,
(One out of many daves)
dave AKA vwdoc1 wrote:

Yes so an autoscan and see if you can also connect to the ABS module. Of course if the beeping is not occuring at every start up, there may be any faults found! 8^o

On Sun, 19 Jul 2009, Paul Dhuse wrote:

I archived this post from February 2007 from Richard Goulding, which may or may not be useful to you:
"I had the same problem on my A4.
Four beeps from the back somewhere. It is the battery backup on the alarm telling you it's dying. If you scan with VAG-COM there will be an error stating such. Eventually, it will stop beeping but it won't 'fix' itself. The code will still be there. If you clear the code it will start beeping again for a while.
I just left it until it stopped beeping and forgot about. It doesn't impede the car in anyway other than if the main battery is disconnected the alarm won't continue to sound (and probably something more)."
-Steve
I did an autoscan on my car and there are no ABS error codes.
There are some antitheft alarm codes and the central vacuum system is leaking, but those are the ones that I suspect.
I guess I'll just have to wait and see.
Thanks for all youse guys's advice.
dave AKA vwdoc1 wrote:

The auto check control display (middle display) will show a relevant icon and give 3 warning chimes for either of the following.
1. fault in the brake system 2. coolant level low 3. coolant temp high 4. engine oil low.