Beeps on startup

Hi all,

My 1998 US spec A4 V6 Quattro beeped at me this morning when I started the car.

I turned the key, the engine started, and idled, and then 3 longish beeps sounded. It didn't happen the next time I started the car. I didn't drive the car yesterday, so it had been sitting for two days. And it ran just fine.

I've checked the manual and big service manual and I can't seem to find any mention of beeping.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Reply to
Paul Dhuse

where did the beeps come from...horn, stereo, alarm speaker ???

Reply to
Tom E

The auto check control display (middle display) will show a relevant icon and give 3 warning chimes for either of the following.

  1. fault in the brake system
  2. coolant level low
  3. coolant temp high
  4. engine oil low.
Reply to
Tom E

They seemed to come from the instrument panel.

There were no warn>

Reply to
Paul Dhuse

When you first turn the ign on, before cranking, do you see the Oil light, ABS light and Brake light come on? I am thinking it is an ABS problem sound.

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Yep I just listened to a 1999 Audi A6 with a bad ABS module.

3 long beeps after the engine is running, but the lights blink and stay on.

Now with the remanned ABS module things are nice and quiet again.

Yours might be on the way out so you have received warning! ;-)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

I don't see any other warning lights at all. Just the normal light up on startup.

Would an ABS problem show up in a full diagnostic scan? I've got the VAGCOM connector, etc.

I'll have to give it a try.

dave AKA vwdoc1 wrote:

Reply to
Paul Dhuse

Yes so an autoscan and see if you can also connect to the ABS module. Of course if the beeping is not occuring at every start up, there may be any faults found! 8^o

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

I archived this post from February 2007 from Richard Goulding, which may or may not be useful to you:

"I had the same problem on my A4.

Four beeps from the back somewhere. It is the battery backup on the alarm telling you it's dying. If you scan with VAG-COM there will be an error stating such. Eventually, it will stop beeping but it won't 'fix' itself. The code will still be there. If you clear the code it will start beeping again for a while.

I just left it until it stopped beeping and forgot about. It doesn't impede the car in anyway other than if the main battery is disconnected the alarm won't continue to sound (and probably something more)."

-Steve

Reply to
Steve Thompson

I did an autoscan on my car and there are no ABS error codes.

There are some antitheft alarm codes and the central vacuum system is leaking, but those are the ones that I suspect.

I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

Thanks for all youse guys's advice.

dave AKA vwdoc1 wrote:

Reply to