Bent Rims

I've been a devoted audi owner for over 20 years. I currently lease a

2001 A6 2.7 For the past 4 - 6 months the car has a vibration in the front end at speeds over 60 mph. When I brought ythe vehicle for service, I was told I had 2 bent rims. They put the spare on, and moved one of the bent rims to the rear. The car still drove terribly. I brought it back and was told there are three bent rims. At $500 each, I'm not interested in driving this car any longer. I drive mainly on highways, so I'm mystified. I know of no one that has this problem.

Has anyone experienced this problem with their Audis.

After 20 years I'm ready to find another car that won't suffer this problem

Reply to
Len Hornstein

Which rims are we talking about? The stock 16" or the optional 17"? The 17" rims are more likely to bend as there is less rubber separating them from the pavement and protecting from potholes (even highways have occasional potholes) :-)

You can get new aftermarket rims for as little as $130 a piece (16") or $160 a piece (17") from places like

if you don't feel like paying audi $500 for each, which is a ripoff, IMO.

Cheers,

Pete

Reply to
Pete

My 2000 A6 4.2 with 17 inch wheels also had this problem on two wheel, probably from me driving it very fast on a gravel mountain road. It was soon after this that I noticed a front end shimmy. The dealer put the spare in front and took the better of the two bent rims and put in on the rear, and used the other for a spare. The problem was solved. If your rims are severely bent, they can be straightened by a pro shop. Look in your yellow pages for shops that do this. Or, you could buy another set of alloys that should only run about $150/wheel.

Whatever, good luck. Dave

Dave LaCourse