BOSE System CD Malfunction?

I have a '01 TT with a BOSE system with CD that is giving me errors when I play cd's. It started with ERROR 1, then went to ERROR 3 and now I get a NO
CD at times. All the problems are random and I've tried original and burned cd's with the same results.
Is it the player or the head unit?
Thanks.

Confronted with the same history I'd suspect the changer was crudded up. Time to GENTLY blow the dust bunnies out...
/daytripper '00 4 6spd