Break-in advice

Was just told to keep my TT V6 at 4000rpm max for "a few hundred miles."
Does this jibe with your experience? With an earlier Opel I was told to
drive the doors off it, to loosen the engine up and keep it running well.
And what is "a few hundred miles" when the owner's manual says 1,000?
--
Charles Fox
snipped-for-privacy@gte.net

I followed the Manual, then gradually increased to max revs over the next 500 miles. -- Doug Ramage
***Watch Spam Trap***

Well then, a few hundred miles must be 10, no?
Just be patient, follow the factory recommendations (which include, more importantly, varying the RPMs rather than cruising at one speed), and in a couple of weeks you'll be able to drive it however you like.

Modern engines don't need anything like the running in that used to be needed years ago. That said, it does no harm & ultimately (I think) a lot of good.
I'd be taking it very easy for the first 500 miles & then gradually winding it up towards 1000/1500.
4000 rpm is a good limit to start with - but its also not just about the limit its about how you use it. Flooring it to 4000 isn't much help & neither is making the engine labour using a gear that's too high. Sensible acceleration and frequent gear shifts (unless its an Auto!) is the order of the day. Helps loosen up the gearbox too.
I also favour getting the oil & filter changed at 1000 regardless of what the book says Expect it to take until between 5 & 10,000 miles before it really starts to loosen up.
HTH
I.
Thanks to all. And okay, I'll be very careful for the first 500, then gradually tickle it for the next 500. And I'll vary my speed.
That really helps!
--
Charles Fox
snipped-for-privacy@gte.net