Broken Belt -- Need 1, 2, or 4 tires?

I have a broken belt in one of my A6 Quattro. Other tires have 8mm tread remaining. Can I get away with buying only one tire? Or do I have to buy two or four?

How much tread difference is needed to cause problems with the diffrentials on a Quattro?

Reply to
Jay Somerset

I'd order just 1 from TireRack, but ask them to shave off a couple of mm before they ship it.

Cheers,

Pete

Reply to
Pete

In article , Pete writes

LOL, hey Victor, lets see if that new Remington can cope with vulcanised rubber! :)

Reply to
Toby Groves

LOL! I was actually serious though. I know they shave and heat-cycle track tires for customers, so I'm sure they could do it for a street tire, too. Just have to make sure it's the exact tire model as the other 3 he has on the car.

Cheers,

Pete

Reply to
Pete

Pete's suggestion was NOT meant as a joke. Consider this as a learning experience!!.

Reply to
Tony

better yet send them the old tyre and have some more rubber stuck on........

Reply to
steve

Shave your tires??

Jesus guys, why would you pay for a new tire to immeadiately take a couple of thousand miles OFF its life!!

This is an Audi NOT a Volvo 4wd. Volvos you DEFINATELY have to change in pairs. The Audi Quatro system automatically compensates for different tire dimensions when you change tires.

John A6Q 2.8 (UK)

Reply to
John

The previous remark was largely satire, but not completely without merit.

Tire shaving is a common practice for competition tires and Tire Rack is one of (if not *the*) the first commercial operations to make it widely available to anyone who wants to pay a few bucks for the service. In this case, it would effectively 'match' the tire with the remaining worn tires.

Tread squirm adversely influences handling, so autocrossers and a few track junkies will have the 'excess' shaved off. I always thought the old Bridgestone commercials demonstrating how *worn* tires handled as well as brand new ones were hilarious. Well, DUH! If it's on dry pavement, they handle *better*! Every *true* autocrosser I know looks at a set of 'bald' tires and, instead of thinking: "Needs new tires," thinks: "Ahhh! Competition depth!"

-- C.R. Krieger Been there; done that

Reply to
C.R. Krieger