broken speedo cable end still in transmission

I have a 1984 4000cs. The speedometer cable broke and left the end piece in the transmission. Is there a way to get it out without having to remove the transmission?
I have a repair manual for this car but it seems to be lacking in some areas (i.e.:a blowout view of the automatic transmission).
can't you use a metal pick and pick it out? I am thinking a dental pick. should be a short little piece of cable.

That's ok. I got it. It goes into a removable gear mechanism that just unbolts.
Thanks anyway.