Broken Windscreen (Again)

Need Help Again,

My A4 1.8T windscreen was badly damaged by a stone chip. I went to one of those fixit places but the guy said that the windscreen needs to be replaced. My local dealer will charge approx US $900.00 to replace

A few questions:

  1. What should I expect to pay for a new windscreen in the US?
  2. What about a second hand windscreen salvaged from a wreck?
  3. Since this is the second time this has happened is there anything I can coat the replacement with to make it stronger? I seem to remember hearing about some type of film?
  4. Any good sources located in the southeastern US? I live in the Caribbean so the less shipping I have to pay the better.

Finally, why are Audi Windscreens so "weak"? I have driven Nissans, Mazda's, Mitsubishis, Peugeots and have never lost an windscreen. Driving an A4 for two years and this is the second one. Is there a problem - or am I just unlucky?

Many Thanks Again Simon

Reply to
Simon

The windshield should be stronger than nissan's or honda's. since it cost more than a honda's. I hand a honda accord and have to pay $400 canadian dollar to replace the windshield.

I had a stone chip scratch on the windshield. I am still wondering How can i fix it to make it nicer!

husky

Reply to
ming

Simon,

Don't go to the dealer for this if you don't have to. Since you live in the Caribbean, I'm not sure if you have them down there or not, but here in the states there are several companies that do windshield replacement. I have a '91 200TQ whose windshield is showing 13 years of use. Calling around to a few of those places, I had gotten prices from $250 to $400 (never called a dealer to find a comparison, didn't want to be too scared!).

Enjoy Bill

Reply to
bill