Buttons on key forget what they are for!

Hi all,
I've been lurking for a couple of weeks now, ever since I bought my 1.9 TDI (130) A4 Avant (1 year old). I have discovered a small problem with both my
keys in that the buttons often fail to operate the central locking. I have to unlock the car manually and then put the key in the ignition for which seems to reset everything. This happens probably one or two times per day if I unlock/lock the car say 5 or 6 times a day. It's not the end of the world as I can still get in and start the car, but it is a bit of a pain. Has anybody got any ideas/solutions?
Thanks
James
On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 17:41:59 +0000 (UTC), "James"

Replace the batteries in the fob...
Tried that - no difference. The range with the original batteries was huge as well. I could be over 50m away from the car and it would still unlock.
On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 20:03:39 +0000 (UTC), "James"

I'd find someone with a VAG-COM and dump codes from the Central Locking function...
Good one - I'd heard a similar thing about a lot of RAC/AA calls to the upper level car parks in the Trafford Centre, because they have some kind of radio masts up there interfering with remote locking.
Mike.
It doesn't seem to be location specific and it happens with both keys. I think a trip to the dealer is required!