buying a 1.8T

Hi, I am considering a 1.8T 97 with 100K on it. I know it will probably need a new timing belt soon. Also, the airbag light seems to be always on when i test drove it. the car seems to be in good condition otherwise,
but I have a strong feeling that there are hidden problems. I trust the person I am buying from but that person is not very knowledgable about cars and may have a problem that they dont even know about. Would any one have any experience with th 97 1.8T, pros, cons, things to look out for? also would anyone have any information about what such a car sells for these days? Any advice on what to test before buying and on how I can find out if I am buyng myself a new problem instead of a dependable car that will last? Thanks in advance.

What country are you buying it from? 97 1.8T should cost around 5k with FSH thats about $9k maybe less
Problems are varied, but airbag control module may need replacing, cam belt is good for another 40k if changed at 80k miles, or 20k if changed at 60
Other problems are, creaky wishbones, try driving over uneven ground and see if the suspension knocks and groans, Turbo may need replacing soon.
Has it been chipped? is it standard? any annoying squeaks or rattle's.
Try and get a newer one if you can, so you can get quattro, pay that little bit more, look for the facelift version in 1999
hth
Ron
Thanks Ron,

i didnt hear anything when i drove it