buying a '98 Audi A4 2.8T w/ Quattro

Hi folks,
I have never had an Audi before and am now looking at a '98 Audi A4 2.8T w/ Quattro AWD that has 59K miles on it. The owner has done 50K service and claims to have changed the timing belt and water pump (is
it really required before even 60K miles!!)??
He is asking for $13,200 for the car. The car has a CD changer (in the trunk :-( with premium sound. The seats are all leather. The deal seems to be good except that my instincts are suggesting its not! I'll get the car inspected by a mechanic before closing the deal. However, any suggestions/comments regarding what else to check would be greatly appreciated.
thanks! RA
CatcherInTheRye wrote:

That's kinda high for private sale. I paid $11.5K for the wife's '99 with 60K from a used car dealer (with a warranty) a couple months ago. It's also a 2.8Q with similar equipment. He was being overly cautious on the timing belt. Audi says 90K, most here think 60K is a better number. I hope he had the cam seals replaced when they did the timing belt.Check it for oil leaks (look in the belly pan and on the rear diff).These are great cars, but expect it to need service now and then (it's not a Honda) so think about who you're going to use for this before you need them. Expect service to be costly.
-jim
"CatcherInTheRye" wrote in message

2.8, 2.7T or 1.8T?? 2.8T never existed and the 2.7T was only available in the S4 AFAIK. 2.8 or 1.8T should make quite a difference in price. Got the 2.8 myself, and would recommend the 1.8T in an A4 (lighter, less understeer, more responsive, easily chipped to the same hp/torque as the 2.8).
Rune S -98 A6 2.8 Avant Q
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (CatcherInTheRye) wrote in message

So, is it a 2.8L V6, or a 1.8L turbo I4 car? Your nomenclature has me a bit confused.
For that price, you want full records, a Carfax report, clear title (non-salvage), a clear and compelling reason for the guy to be selling at that price, and a full, and I mean 100% full, going-over by an experienced Audi mechanic. Pay the extra money for a full inspection.
Everything, especially the electrical, must work properly right out of the box. Note that this is actually good pre-purchase advice for *any* used car, not just Audi.
Search in this ng for A4-related hassles, and go to Audiworld.com for more info.
Good luck,
--
Jonesy