Buying new A4,330i, G35, CTS, C320

Page 8 of 16
Steve Grauman wrote:

I've moved this discussion to a new thread. It's been too far off topic for way too long.
- Greg Reed
--
1976 Cadillac Fleetwood 75 9-Pass sedan
(FS: http://www.dataspire.com/caddy )

for

Our arguments aside, thank you.
Jay Jones wrote:

I'm sorry, what were those scientifically-proven facts again?
- Greg Reed
-----= Posted via Newsfeed.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =----- http://www.newsfeed.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! -----== 100,000 Groups! - 19 Servers! - Unlimited Download! =-----
you should remember the constant reminders from your professors that

done
Because real-world experience is better than any of your sources and maybe we've grown too old and lazy not to trust ourselves enough.
the same physics, yes-- and greater weight on a smaller cross-sectional area yeilds greater pressure, friction, and TRACTION. since a FWD car has its weight bias on the front (hence a natural tendency for understeer without other compensations), it has more weight on these steering and drive wheels to maintain more traction. RWD cars have a more equal weight distribution and, thus, less percentage of weight on BOTH the drive and steering wheels... if the cars are the same weight, and use the same size tires, the FWD will ALWAYS maintain better traction and controllability in inclimate weather as the greater pressure will yeild greater traction, reduced tendency for hydroplaning, etc...
For example.... try driving a RWD car with very wide tires at high speeds in the rain-- it's unsafe at high speeds and subject to hydroplaning long before a FWD car with more narrow tires--- the same principle is involved.

available
but
Jay Jones wrote:

So FWD cars have an advantage because of tire size and weight distribution? I thought we were talking about the advantages of the *drive layouts* themselves. You're creating what's called a "complex question" where unrelated things are assumed to be inseperably related. Refuting your complex question is easy. Just put narrow tires on the RWD car and give it the same weight distribution as the FWD car. Done. Next, please.
- Greg Reed
--
1976 Cadillac Fleetwood 75 9-Pass sedan
(FS: http://www.dataspire.com/caddy )
suggest that to saab and volvo-- since their drivers live in snow more than anyone else up in scandinavia-- why else do you think they use FWD EXCLUSIVELY, stupid??!?!

distribution?
it
Jay Jones wrote:

Ummm.... Right. Thanks for that. I've learned a lot from your posts, Jay.
- Greg Reed
-----= Posted via Newsfeed.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =----- http://www.newsfeed.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! -----== 100,000 Groups! - 19 Servers! - Unlimited Download! =-----
Greg Reed wrote:

We're talking about the whole technology behind it. You just can't understand it? You can't take out the essential things that make the car move and then say "oh yes, RWD could be better in this theoretical case, which can't be done".
- Yak
Michael Burman wrote:

Well, at least now you've demonstrated that you understand what I'm trying to say. And I'm not going to take your bait. The assertion remains as I stated it. Refute it or ignore it as you see appropriate. (I just wish I could glue a couple fistfulls of this hair back onto my head...)
- Greg Reed
-----= Posted via Newsfeed.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =----- http://www.newsfeed.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! -----== 100,000 Groups! - 19 Servers! - Unlimited Download! =-----

I've outrun 2 Civics running Jackson Racing superchargers in my bone-stock VW GTi. Let's see some time slips.

Hi Bob, we have an Audi S4 and a 330xi.
Both are great cars... so I think it depends a little on what you are looking for.
the 330 has things going for it that the Audi doesnt.. First on that list would have to be reliability. Not that the Audi is NOT reliable.. I just have found the BMW to be a little better. Either is going to be expensive to fix. But the 2000 Audi has had almost $1700.00 worth of work after the warranty expired. It has almost 69k miles... The BMW has 55k - and NOTHING has gone wrong other than a stalling problem (which wasnt bad) which the dealer updated the ECU to fix - I think it was a recall....
If you want to get a Tiptronic. I like the BMW tip WAY better than the Audi.. but my S4 is a manual...
The audi.. I think its got a better interior. nicer seats... And might be a little faster. Not sure about the regular A4, vs the S4. The A4 and 330 are very close in HP.
The BMW sounds better. Something about that BMW exhaust.
Close is probably close... but I suspect the BMW is a little more expensive.
BMW dealers/service tends to be better than Audi dealer/service - on average
I looked at the G35, and hated the interior. I thought it was cheap. And no manual with AWD. forget it.
havent driven a C320, but I do like the way it looks and the inerior. wish it had more power.. I think its only 215HP.. Or somthing like that..
good luck - get something sweet! :-)
Adam

B5 S4 does 0-60 in 5.5 seconds 2003 330Xi takes about 6.4 seconds, .01 faster than an A4 3.0 Quattro w/ 6 speed.
The E46 330i will be history in the next months.
The Caddy is unbearable for someone used with German fit and finish.
The G35 is something I found better than expected. However there are issues with its brakes. In Canada, Nissan decided to extend coverage for it until 60000km, but this measure looks like a plaster. While being there, did you consider the Acura TL2004. Forget what you used to know about Acura. Big departure from previous version.
Two of my neighbors have a 2001 C-Class. They seem to appreciate it, even if I heard horror stories about this car. It is very comfy for such a small car. The A4 is as much desirable. Somehow more discreet. Slightly better interior. If you want to try something new, I would get the M-B (or the TL).

Huh? I thought the 3 series was staying around this year.. and even if a new model is coming out, the 'old one' is still a great car.. I think a much better car than the G35 - I really didnt like the interior of that car. I think Car and driver rated the G35 slightly over the 330 - BUT the only thing that made the G35 score higher was the price. The 330 was better in every other way. Which personally, I think is silly.... Cuz they are all in the same class... why give something that is inferior a better score just cuz its cheaper... YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!
Also, with the new TL. I think it looks great. And the specs sound great too.. but I have read from a few places that it really shouldnt be a front drive car. The 270HP is just too much for it, and the torque steer is horrible.
I dont know....
Adam

talked about I've driven, outside the Lambo, Ferrari. If you new anything about

only
winter.
where not talking about slippery roads you said racing situations, just because you can't prove your point you can't change the rules. you and your boyfriend Steve are the funny ones you use the same few cars and rallying nothing else please come up with a better argument so you can keep my interest. eww that A3 is so much better than a Spectra.
Tha Ghee wrote:

So you're saying racing situations don't have slippery roads? And certain speed, every goddamn situation has a slippery point, where you run out of grip. But you wouldn't know that, since you've never tried.
Luckily there's always Need For Speed for you.
- Yak

your
rallying
no they don't if you notice they don't race in the rain. if you say so.
Tha Ghee wrote:

So basically you're saying your RWD cars will never run out of grip? What kind of comment is that then? Now listen, the amount of grip is based on a) road's slippery, b) force that's pushing you to the ground. These two applied, it doesn't matter even if you drive in liquid concrete, it will get slippery eventually, when speed increases. Now try to imagine what more grip means compared to less grip.
- Yak