Bying a '99 A4, 2.4L / 30V, AT. Any PRO's and CON's?

Hi all,

Looking forward to acquire a 99 A4, equipped with a 2.4 liter V6 (30 valve) and auto-transmission. Would appreciate your reviews of this car and its PRO's and CON's.

Cheers.

Reply to
agaibulin

If this is a US car you will find that the engine size is 2.8 rather than 2.4.

The Tiptronic transmission should have the oil and filter changed each

50K to 60K.

The 2.8 is a good engine but it does have the characteristic of leaking a bit of oil on the exhaust from the cam and valve seals. More of a minor irritation than anything but seems to be a common 'feature' of the

2.8.

Find out if the control arms in the front suspension have been replaced. There was a recall on them for wear and squeaking.

Expect to be replacing wheel bearings in the back at around 100K.

Overall a good car. My son has a '98 with that engine / transmission that is running strong at 140K.

Reply to
TonyJ

Nope that is a car for Japan market, and it's 2.4 V6

Some reviewers say that a common problem for Audi's V6 engines are their timing belt along with its tensioner and ribbed belt. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks. A

Reply to
agaibulin

T belts on the v6 should be replaced at about 75 - 80K. Recommended interval is somewhat longer but failures have occurred frequently enough to tend to recommend an owner be more conservative as failure will usually trash the engine. The T belt is not the most risky component, rather the water pump or tensioner are more likely to fail. These have the same effect.

I do not consider this a problem issue with the engine. It is a part of routine maintenance for any engine with a T belt. The cost of a failure is just more of an incentive on an interference engine.

Reply to
TonyJ

Tony mentions the trany oil change.............if you have this done get garage tech to drive with you BEFORE its replaced to show them the vehicle runs 100%. Then if there's any problems after its THEIR error. This follows a post a few months ago where someone had it changed and the box f'kk'd up after.

I have no real problems with my 98 2.4 it went through MOT yesterday with only a minor recommendation on a steering joint. Car has been in family from new, father then me.

T belt, water pump, idlers all replaced at 66k for £600. Now at 88K

One steering joint, cooler header tank and 2 new gaiters replaced over last year.

Original heated wing mirrors failed years ago when owned by my father and I replaced them a few years back. Been OK since with new design.

All lower door trims replaced over 5 years.

Instrument panel illumination fades a little in hot weather..............this appears to be a common thing on this era of Audi. Way too expensive to worry about.

otherwise a great car.

dj in UK

Reply to
Me

It's for real, and you need to find a garage that'll install the new water pump and tensioner and belt correctly and not overtighten them, as happened on my now-stolen 98.5 A4.

Reply to
KLS

Agreed.

IME trouble/weak spots are:

- Front steering components.

- Water pump & cam belt tensioner.

- Electic windows has "gremlins" (windows occasionally open on their own).

- Window mechanisms - the windows stick and damage the motors.

- Instrument panel fades.

- Engine sensors.

M.

Reply to