can't fill up!

I bought (for my wife, whom I love dearly) a used( abused) 1996 A4 2.6, I understand that the belt will have to be replaced (with 160,000kms on the clock, who knows when it was last changed) but on the way home I went to fill up and couldn't get the filler cap cover open. after about an hour and much pulling I forced it open!. there is a small solenoid holding the cap shut, but what activates it? there's a "central" green window button that seems to unlock the boot. is that it? while very classy the A4 has reams of niggly little problems! no brake lights, no horn, fuel cap, connector for antenna missing, rear ashtray broken, pulsing brakes ect.ect. at the moment she prefers the 92 3ltr Lexus! help me make her happy!!! regards Geoff.

Reply to
streeter3195

The filler cap has a solenoid which locks the cap when the car locking system is activated. So I assume the solenoid is out of order, or it is stuck. By the way, no need to force it, I remember from the time that I had an A4 that you can unlock it from the boot. Some string to pull, if my memory serves me right.

Bert

Reply to
Bert

This happened on your way home from buying the car, and you didn't take it right back?

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

Goeff,

The fuel door locks automatically at any time the car doors are locked. There is a switch on the driver's door frame and a manual release cable in the trunk on the same side as the tank fill site (passenger side in US) I am not sure if the trunk release also released the fuel door.

It took me a while to train myself to leave the door locks open when exiting the car to fill up.

You have about 96,000 miles on the timing belt (etc) and it should be changed soon if it has not been done already. If the belt (etc) was serviced at any AUDI dealership a dealer will be able to find the details via the centralized AUDI computer

The pulsing brakes might just be the ABS working during hard braking or the rotors may be warped. If from warpage they might just need to be turned on a brake lathe or replaced if out of tolerance.

I am surprised any dealership would sell a car with non functional brake lights.... That sounds like a negligent liability lawsuit waiting to happen. Have you checked the fuses/circuit breaker?

My A6 and the A4 before it had windshield antennas so there was nothing external to see... does the radio work?

The horn would also be on a fuse/breaker and in many cases has a relay also.

Older A4's had the diagnostic computer connection "inside" the rear lighter unit and the cover is just held on with a spring clip and is a real pain to affix properly the first 100 times you do it until you take the time to find the right way.

Reply to
BillyRay

thanks, nice to know people care!, I bought the car at auction! repossesion........thus all the problems....Geoff

Reply to
streeter3195

Bought the damn thing at auction....!thanks anyway.......

Reply to
streeter3195