Catalytic converter & Temp sender.

Hi,
I've been told that the Catalytic converter on my Audi A4 Avant (1999) 1.8 Auto has failed because of the temperature sensor failing. The cat failure must be bad, becuse the engine will only get the car to 30-40
MPH! I'm not convinced that it is the cat.
I was always told that the engine management system had a seperate engine temp monitor. The sensor that has failed is the sensor for the temp gauge on the instrument panel.
I've been told that because of the sensor failure, the engine has been running permanently rich, which in turn has killed the cat.
Does this make sense?
Thanks Dave
When the Cat breaks up it partially blocks the exhaust and strangles the engine. Had the same problem on a Mondeo a while back. Rgds Alec

Dave Farrell wrote:

The temp gauge sensor is the same one the engine management system uses, although I thought it had a seperate element for it. If it was running rich it could indeed damage your cat and restrict the exhaust.