Central locking systemon Audi A4 (y reg)

Hi, my Dad has problems on the central locking system on his A4. it seems to have a mind of its own and will lock-unlock at will as well as intermittently work with the key fob.
Before taking it to a grg he would like to confirm that it is a problem with the unit that controls the central/remote locking.
Where on the car is this located? How do you get at it?
Hope you can help.
Thanks Jamie

Is it perhaps a particular door that is not locking properly? The door locks have microswitches in them that tell the CL that the door is locked. If these break or get dirty then the door won't lock.
We had one go on our Bora and the half the time the lock button would pop back up when the car was locked. Change the lock and all was well again - 100 including fitting.
HTH Dave
I have a 96 S6 that had a continully locking problem that was intermittent and probably associated with damp weather. I replaced motion detector to central locking system relay and, touch wood, not had any problems for last 8 months. Try that.
And by the way, the rest of the world may or may not understand UK license reg quirks and don't know what year a Y reg is so best to state the year - may make it a bit easier getting help.
Tony 96 S6