change timing belt 180k or 70k?

Hi: My 2000 a4 1.8T Q has 57770km right now. I saw post on audiworld or somewhere else say , TB should be done at 60k mi,even some said 70km. BUT, in the owner's manual come with my car said it should be done at
180km. There is a huge difference there!!! Which one should I listen to?
Thank you!
husky

This question comes up once a week on average here - for more info, search the archives. The general wisdom in this newsgroup as well as on AudiWorld is to change it sooner than Audi recommendation because the TB/TB tensioner has a tendency to fail sooner, creating quite a disaster in your engine. Changing the TB/TB tensioner early is cheap insurance when you consider it'll cost you $3K or more to repair an engine in which the TB failed. If you have no problem forking out 3 grand, then by all means, don't bother getting it changed sooner. You may just get lucky and not have it fail on you.
I'll be changing mine ('01 A4 1.8T) when I hit 60K miles.
BTW, here's a good advice from RKA from yesterday:
http://forums.audiworld.com/a4/msgs/1761212.phtml
Cheers,
Pete

Yes.
Is it the same interval for the 2.8 30v engine ?
--
Alexandre
2001 Audi A4 2.8QM

Yes, it is, and be sure to change out the water pump at the same time; they're in there, and it's only $150 or so more, good insurance. Don't forget to have them look over the serpentine belt. My mechanic left the original on because it looked like new to him, and that's fine: he CHECKED it.
For 2.8 30 V in Switzerland: 120,000 km.
--
Best regards.
G. Tarantino

Mine leaked at 199,500 km!