change timing belt 180k or 70k?

Hi: My 2000 a4 1.8T Q has 57770km right now. I saw post on audiworld or somewhere else say , TB should be done at 60k mi,even some said 70km. BUT, in the owner's manual come with my car said it should be done at

180km. There is a huge difference there!!! Which one should I listen to?

Thank you!

husky

Reply to
ming

This question comes up once a week on average here - for more info, search the archives. The general wisdom in this newsgroup as well as on AudiWorld is to change it sooner than Audi recommendation because the TB/TB tensioner has a tendency to fail sooner, creating quite a disaster in your engine. Changing the TB/TB tensioner early is cheap insurance when you consider it'll cost you $3K or more to repair an engine in which the TB failed. If you have no problem forking out 3 grand, then by all means, don't bother getting it changed sooner. You may just get lucky and not have it fail on you.

I'll be changing mine ('01 A4 1.8T) when I hit 60K miles.

BTW, here's a good advice from RKA from yesterday:

Cheers,

Pete

Reply to
Pete

Yes.

Reply to
Pete
70k

Change it then, It dosent cost that much to change anyway.

Reply to
Dr. Who

Is it the same interval for the 2.8 30v engine ?

Reply to
Alex

Yes, it is, and be sure to change out the water pump at the same time; they're in there, and it's only $150 or so more, good insurance. Don't forget to have them look over the serpentine belt. My mechanic left the original on because it looked like new to him, and that's fine: he CHECKED it.

Reply to
xymergy

For 2.8 30 V in Switzerland: 120,000 km.

Reply to
GT

I have a '96 S6 with 79000 kms on it and had my t-belt changed last week because its 8 years old. Scheduled maintainace is at 130000kms. The guy who did the work showed me the old tensioner that had appeared to have lost grease so was the weak point - the t-belt was in good shape. The serpentine belt had lost some bits so was replaced along with the water pump. All good insurance.

Tony Ottawa

Reply to
Tony Curran

"Romy Singh" a écrit dans le message de news:1ss7b.209450$ snipped-for-privacy@news04.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com...

In Switzerland: every 120,000 km. But don't forget to change the water pump. Mine leaked at 199,500 km!

Reply to
GT