Changin the timing belt on my car. Need advice.

Page 1 of 2
Hi. I have an '86 Mitsubishi Cordia and I am trying to change the timing belt on my car. I'm waiting to see if someone will lend me a chain wrench in order to remove the pulley in the crankshaft spot. In the
meantime, I thought i'd ask a few questions.
After I put both the car's timing belts properly aligned, will the car be good to go after everything else is put back exactly the way it was? For example, will the spark plug cables work in the same position as they were before the belts broke or will the cables need to be readjusted somehow? What i'm trying to ask is: is the're another step after you install the timing belt? For some reason, I think that i'm going to install the belts and the car is not going to work properly. Any tips? Thanks
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (leviathan) wrote:

What makes you think that anyone in this Audi newsgroup will know anything about Mitsubishis?

> What makes you think that anyone in this Audi newsgroup will know

I know something!! The name "Mitsubishi" supposedly means "Three diamonds" in Japanese, just take a look at the logo.
From: snipped-for-privacy@online.no (IngerSkramstadJrstad)

>supposedly means "Three diamonds" in >Japanese, just take a look at the logo. Another ignorant reply. Both you and the other guy are completely lost with regards to car maintenance. A knowledgeable person would never have replied like this and would've realized my question could be answered universally for any make and model car.
(Inger Skramstad Jrstad)

>supposedly means "Three diamonds" in >Japanese, just take a look at the logo.
Another ignorant reply. Both you and the other guy are completely lost with regards to car maintenance. A knowledgeable person would never have replied like this and would've realized my question could be answered universally for any make and model car.
No, it cannot, complete bullshit.
On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 19:13:52 -0400 (EDT), snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (leviathan) wrote:

Ahhh, textbook example of how written messages can be misunderstood (ie. written language doesn't convey body language or tone of voice as in person to person communication) :)
First person just points out general rule of newsgroups: don't post message to group where it doesn't belong.
Second person makes joke of whole thing but original poster doesn't get it and this whole discussion goes downhill from thereafter.
I admit that sometimes finding correct group can be difficult, but if group is named after one particular model of car it shouldn't be too hard to figure out that it is _only_ for discussion of that particular model of car. Even as You state that question _is_ universal in nature it still doesn't belong here.
As there happens to be group for mitsubishi (alt.autos.mitsubishi) post Your message there (or general auto-goup: alt.autos), not here please.
- jarno -
PS. sorry about bad language, spelling mistakes etc, but english is not my natural language.
------------------------------------ "Nothing is as certain as uncertain"
From: snipped-for-privacy@invalid.org.uk (PeterBell)

>newsgroup will know anything about >Mitsubishis?
Wow, pretty ignorant reply. My question was about timing belts. Maybe someone here or wherever can answer the question regardless of the car's make and model. Why it would depend on the car's make and model for the question I asked is beyond me. It's obvious you probably couldn't find the oil filter in you car if they offered you a million dollars to do so. LMAO
On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 19:09:46 -0400 (EDT), snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (leviathan) wrote:

That's a good start -- insult the people from whom you want help.
From: snipped-for-privacy@no-fixed-abode.com (JaySomerset)

>whom you want help.
Audi people must not know too much about cars. I asked this question in the Dodge group and I got a helpful and intelligent reply. It's just a timing belt question. No need for it to be a specific make and models to answer a timing belt question (at least the question I asked).
(Jay Somerset)
<Audi people must not know too much about cars. I asked this <question in <the Dodge group and I got a helpful and intelligent reply. It's just <a timing belt question. No need for it to be a specific make and <models to <answer a timing belt question (at least the question I asked).
Here's what an Audi owner would do if the timing belt broke: pull the cylinder head and replace a bunch of bent valves (a few models excepted). Your first post suggests that's what happened with your car, correct? You didn't communicate that issue too clearly.
....Is this a troll, or what?
Russ

He would of course be doing it on an Audi.
I thought all cars were designed, built and serviced identically by well meaning, well trained and intelligent souls who only wish to help humanity. Am I wrong about soemthing here? Please say no.

(Jay Somerset)

So, if your question answered already in Dodge group, why do you ask it here too? What kind of answer you got in Mitsubishi group?
- Juha -

Says the dimwit that posts a question about Mitsubishis to an Audi newsgroup!
--
Toby

Perhaps the reason those in the Dodge Group could answer your question is that Chrysler has used Mitubishi motors in its products, Minivans, Plymouth Laser, Eagle Talon, Dodge Stealth and many more.
To my knowledge, Audi has yet to put a Mitsubishi motor into any of its cars.
-- Tom Werner
leviathan wrote:

Make sure to replace the blinker fluid after doing the timing belt. Most people miss this step.
Dave Lugo snipped-for-privacy@etherboy.com LC Unit #260 TINLC
On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 19:36:28 -0400, "Jay Somerset"

Geez, I suggested in another thread in another NG to a guy who said he had no job and no $ who wanted to get some advice on fixing his ragtop to get a job. He responded with: I hope you die painfully from cancer. What a swell fella.
(Peter Bell)

>newsgroup will know anything about >Mitsubishis?
Wow, pretty ignorant reply. My question was about timing belts. Maybe someone here or wherever can answer the question regardless of the car's make and model. Why it would depend on the car's make and model for the question I asked is beyond me. It's obvious you probably couldn't find the oil filter in you car if they offered you a million dollars to do so. LMAO
Again, complete and utter nonsense.
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (leviathan) wrote:

Thanks.
Why you should ask the question in alt.autos.audi, when there is an alt.autos.mitsubishi group is beyond me!

Haha! It is true to say that I haven't done as much work on any of my cars in recent years as I used to do in my youth. However, in the years from around 1970 to 1990 I was fully familiar with car mechanics and electrics. I think it was 1969 when I first lifted an engine out of a car, stripped it down and rebuilt it.
I have to say that your original questions didn't make a lot of sense to me. Why on earth you think that the spark plug leads should need to be 'readjusted' is beyond me. You ask about changing *the* timing belt. You then go on to refer to *both* belts. Do you understand what you're attempting to do?
You don't tell us which engine is in your Cordia (there were at least three different engines fitted to the Cordia - 1.6 N/A, 1.6 turbo, 1.8 turbo). Before giving advice, I would normally be concerned with knowing whether the belt actually broke and, if so, was the engine running at the time. Is the engine an 'interference' design, in which case the head should be lifted and the valves checked out. If the belt didn't break, then replacement should be a simple matter of aligning timing marks, releasing the belt tensioner, removing the old belt, installing the new belt and tensioner (you will be fitting a new tensioner, won't you?) and bolting everything back together. What else is worth doing whilst the belt is off? On an Audi I would insist on installing a new waterpump. Does that help?
If I were you, I'd still be inclined to ask in alt.autos.mitsubishi - folks there will probably be a lot more knowledgable about your particular car.

From: snipped-for-privacy@theoffice.net (JPF)

>Japanese marque. You piss on those that you >expect to help you. Many here know the >answer.
I answered with the same courtesy which was extended towards me.
Your reply demonstrates your ignorance crystal clearly. Why would anyone "choose" to drive a 1986 Mitsubishi Cordia? Come on guy, i'm driving that car because I can't afford anything else. I need to fix it and I asked simple questions which got meaningless replies about the car's make and model as if the people who replied have some type of teenage retarded animosity towards the make and model. If you or the other 2 jokers don't want to answer because you're mentally still 15 years old, craking stupid comments about makes and models, then good for you.

No, you did not.

Yes, I can understand that. You drive what you can afford, naturally, nobody in their right mind would blame you for that, least of all me. I know very well how it is to be driving an old and beaten-up car, believe me, I know the feeling very well, but now I am a thirtysomething with a decent job, and can afford to drive better.

You must be etremely touchy, and easy to offend. My comment was just an innocent comment, and certainly no effort to be "wise." Why stating the fact that "Mitsubishi" means "Three diamonds" in Japanese, is so deeply offending to you, is completely and totally beyond me. Again, you seem extremely touchy to me.