Changing Audi A4 Clutch, myself!

Hello All!!!
I got a 2003 Audi A4 for christmas last year, it's at about 92k miles, and the clutch is going out.
The price that the dealer charges to replace it, is $2500-$3000...
Keep in mind that it's a quattro...
I'm curious of how hard it would be to replace the clutch myself, the full clutch kit, for my car is just over $400, so there's a MAJOR price saver, if I can pull it off... I plan on trying to buy the automotive book, for the car and reading up on it...but, any tips steps ...or if you think I should attempt this at all, would be very helpful.
Thanks,
Ben Yekalis

You appear to have a spark of confidence in doing the repair yourself. Just be prepared to remove plenty of exhaust and driveline components. You will definitely be spending majority of your time under that vehicle, not always in the most comfortable positions. The front pump and torque converter can be very sensitive to damage when re-installing so use caution when going back in.
I charge 9 hours of labor for a basic clutch replacement on that particular year, make and model. Having a shop install your parts should be taken into consideration if you wish to save yourself time and frustration.

Pardon my error, there is obviously no tourque converter involved here. Did not intend to mislead anyone with this post :)
WOW You scared me for a minute with the front pump and torque converter! lol
There is someone semi-local to me that asked for help changing out his clutch in a 2001 A4 1.8t quattro. He has already pulled out everything and has trouble putting the trans back onto the engine. I emailed him instructing him to check that the clutch disc fits onto the trans mainshaft and make sure he uses the alignment tool when bolting the clutch components together. He is doing this all in his driveway and is too far for me to assist.
BTW I am not sure if it is easier to pull the engine or pull the trans. Which is easier?
--
later,
dave

It was late, and I was tired... that's my excuse and I'm sticking with it <g>.

That's a good gesture on your part. Making sure the clutch disc fits (and the correct part has been supplied) is a simple check that can save you from a headache on reinstallation.

First off I've never done one of these clutches on the ground with the vehicle on jack stands, but the procedure I use should apply fine.
I support the engine with a brace up top and take off the exhaust system and drive shafts. With the transmission supported separately, I'll then lower the sub frame, then lower the engine/transmission enough to remove all of the bolts around the bell housing, starter and other various components attached to the transmission. Lower a little more and remove.
GEEZ I have lift envy! lol I have worked at my buddy's shop and he lets me use the lift for harder jobs. It makes life easy and the job go quicker. One day I will get one! ;-)
So do you recommend to the OP that it is an "easy" job or ????
--
later,
dave

Hard for me to say for sure because I'm not too certain on his background experience with such repairs. To be honest, a quattro takes a bit longer due to the fact that more parts need to be removed. I specialize on these vehicles and have been doing these repairs for years on end. What may be a walk in the park for me could very well turn out to be a nightmare for him. Providing he has the correct technical information, tools and equipment, and most importantly, time, he should be ok. If any problems arise I'd be glad to answer any questions and give my two cents.
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------070300060207080305030704 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Madesio wrote:

This is a thread on AudiWorld from a person who just did that DIY a few weeks ago: http://forums.audiworld.com/a4gen2/msgs/1070617.phtml
--------------070300060207080305030704 Content-Type: text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit