Changing cigarette lighter

Hope this doesn't sond too nuts, but I want to change the lighter in our A4 3.0 cab, so we can a regular 12 volt connection for laptop and (more importantly) iPod. Is there a kit to do this?

Don't know, but you can get a transformer at Radio Shack that plugs in and provides a "regular" plug. They are fairly compact now - we have one for our portable DVD player that works great.
Dan D '04 A4 1.8Tq MT-6 Central NJ USA
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says...

I got a US spec socket for my Jetta from the VW dealer. Pretty much plug and play. Don't know if Audi would have this for the A4, but it's worth asking about. The adapter rings, etc, didn't work very well for the US plugs I was using.
If a US spec one is available for the Passat, etc, maybe it would work on the A4??
Another route would be if you find a EU spec plug, a pig tail with two US sockets on it wouldn't be hard to put together. You'd be able to plug both in at the same time with this setup.
Just some ideas...
Mark '95 Jetta GLS '06 Audi A3 (looking)
I need to change the AFT cigarette lighter on a 2001 A6. It is located on the rear console at Air vent.
Now I can take off vent and get access to wires etc at back of the unit as I have it disconnected as it is shorthig out the fuse. What I cannot seem to do is remove the lighter socket itself ? Does it screw out or slide out and which way as I have ordered a new socket but cannot remove the old. Can anyone assist??
--
GOSH