Changing the air filter on a 1990 Audi 80 Quattro?

Ok, I checked the bentley manual, And it states to take the car to the dealer to change the air filter. WTF the reason for the manual was to learn how to do it yourself. Any help would be great thanks.

Add pictures here
✖
It could be worse and the instructions might simply read....... removal steps 1. "Take out old filter"
2. "Reverse removal steps to install"
some repair manuals are just useless on certain repairs, but helpful on others! ;-) -- later, dave (One out of many daves) 1997 Red A4 1.8tq auto
I checked the bentley manual, And&nbsp; it states to take the car to<BR>the dealer to change the air filter. WTF the reason for the manual was<BR>to learn how to do it yourself. Any help would be great thanks.</BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=
Add pictures here
✖

I suspect the OP is having trouble finding where the filter is....! I'm not familiar with the 80 but there should be a large square or round black plastic box that contains the filter. There are probably some clips that hold the top on or hold the 2 halves together. It's and easy job.
Dan D '04 A4 1.8Tq MT-6 Central NJ USA
Add pictures here
✖
Well on some of the Audi with the 5 cylinders it might be a little harder than others with 4 cylinders. ;-) It "SHOULD" be easy but I have not seen an Audi 80 Quattro, so I don't know. I would ASSuME that the air filter is on the right side of the engine compartment and can be found by following the large intake boot from the intake manifold.
If this is a turbo engine then all bets are off! lol -- later, dave (One out of many daves) 1997 Red A4 1.8tq auto
steps<BR>&gt; 1. "Take out old filter"<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; 2. "Reverse removal steps to install"<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; some repair manuals are just useless on certain repairs, but helpful on others!&nbsp; ;-)<BR><BR>I suspect the OP is having trouble finding where the filter is....!<BR>I'm not familiar with the 80 but there should be a large square or<BR>round black plastic box that contains the filter. There are probably<BR>some clips that hold the top on or hold the 2 halves together. It's<BR>and easy job.<BR><BR>Dan D<BR>'04 A4 1.8Tq MT-6<BR>Central NJ USA<BR></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=
Add pictures here
✖
On Jan 8, 5:03 pm, snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net wrote:

It's a monster PITA to get to. It's on the left front. And the fuel distributor is part of the top of the airbox. You have to about half- disassemble the intake tract to get to it.
It may be worth your while to take it to an independent, if only to save yourself the hassle.
I'm not kidding about the PITA part - you'll see.
BTW, on my turbo Audi, it's VERY easy to get to. :)
E.P.
Add pictures here
✖
Wow I would like to see a picture of this air filter box. I have not seen an Audi 80 with the air filter box on the Left side, but I have not seen the 80 Quattros. I would think it should look like my '83 Audi 4000S and be on the Right side under the fuel distributor. On the '83 I have to pop off the 4 clips, and one is a PITA usually, and then carefully take the top part of the air filter box and lift it up. The top part also houses the fuel distributor. I usually find it easier to take off the large intake boot. ;-)
Ok, I checked the bentley manual, And it states to take the car to<BR>&gt; the dealer to change the air filter. WTF the reason for the manual was<BR>&gt; to learn how to do it yourself. Any help would be great thanks.<BR><BR>It's a monster PITA to get to.&nbsp; It's on the left front.&nbsp; And the fuel<BR>distributor is part of the top of the airbox.&nbsp; You have to about half-<BR>disassemble the intake tract to get to it.<BR><BR>It may be worth your while to take it to an independent, if only to<BR>save yourself the hassle.<BR><BR>I'm not kidding about the PITA part - you'll see.<BR><BR>BTW, on my turbo Audi, it's VERY easy to get to.&nbsp; :)<BR><BR>E.P.</BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=
Add pictures here
✖

carefully take the top part of the air filter box and lift it up. The top part also houses the fuel distributor.

Sorry, Dave, you are correct. It is on *the right side of the car*. Your left as the hood is open. :)
And yeah, the boot, the clips...
Even after that, you have to horse the new filter around quite a bit to get it under there.
E.P.

Add pictures here
✖
Yeah horse around trying to get the new air filter in correctly can be a little tricky.
face=Arial size=2>snip</FONT><BR>And yeah, the boot, the clips...<BR><BR>Even after that, you have to horse the new filter around quite a bit<BR>to get it under there.<BR><BR>E.P.<BR><BR></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=
Add pictures here
✖
It was simple once I cut out a piece of the fender. This has to be one of the dumbest locations for an air box. The car is being prepped for the 24 hrs of LeMons, so I don't care if some of the inside fender is cut off. Here is a link for a picture.
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj211/elweasel/P1210106.jpg
At the bottom middle you should see a hole. Normally I bolt goes there but I cut the bottom to have space to remove the air filter. Now I have any question. What is the vacumm servo. If you look at the picture in front of the battery. Ok I lied I have another question. What is the carbon canister? Is it part of the emmisions control? If I remove it, what would happen. Thanks for the help.
Add pictures here
✖

Vacuum servo in front of battery is the cruise control actuator.
Carbon canister is for the evaporative control of fuel fumes. If you remove it you will need to plug all vacuum lines and possibly defeat any error lights that appear.
Add pictures here
✖