Check Engine Light

Tuesday of this past week I began seeing the infamous "CheckEngine" light on my '99 A6 (just turned 100K). It came on and stayed on solid Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.
Friday, Saturday and today (Sunday) it's not appearing. "Physician heal thyself" -- maybe.... I know I can neglect it (since it has gone away), but should I, or better can I. And of course the answer is of course you can ignore it - like anything else, But the Q is: If the Light goes away, do the problem(s) go away? TIA<
I wish! The CEL came on in my wife's Windstar van a couple of weeks ago, indicating the need for a $1,000 intake manifold repair. I am ignoring it until spring, when it warms up, and will do the repair it myself. In your case, you need the codes - which Autozone apparently will pull for free. The classic CEL indicator is O2 sensors.
Once you get the codes, you can search on AudiWorld (for example) for the suggested repair.
Dan D '04 A4 1.8Tq MT-6 Central NJ USA

I wouldn't be too concerned if the light remains off. IIRC, it's more serious if the light flashes. Sometimes, if there is a misfire of some kind, that can trigger a steady check engine light that can persist for a couple of days. If the condition does not reappear, the light will go off as you found.
Oh, did you get gas during that time period? If the gas cap is not on all the way and the system isn't completely sealed, the CEL can light.....
I would still have the codes pulled since you can get it done for free....
Dan D '04 A4 1.8Tq MT-6 Central NJ USA
Thanks guys; appreciate the input.