chip or other to improve 01 2.8 throttle control?

The throttle control continues to be the one major (and I mean major) disappointment in my '01 A4 2.8. We've owned it now for most of a year, and put another 15,000 miles on it's original 13,000, and have had no solutions offered by the dealer service department. The car is still under extended warranty, but the dealer says there is nothing to fix! They think it's "normal". My wife and I agree that it's the worst throttle behavior of any of the 15 - 20 cars that we've owned over the years. We never know how the engine will respond, and have to "pussy-foot" the throttle, lest the engine decide to jump ahead, instead of delaying or starting smoothly (rare). No more "care-free" driving -- this throttle demands one's attention.
Is there a chip or repair/modification one can make to improve the throttle control? For all of you 1.8T owners, this engine has no turbo, so it's not "turbo lag". I think it's bad software and/or bad sensors and throttle servo design. This is the first year of the "drive-by-wire" throttle.
Ron
-- Remove "No-Spam" from return address to reply
How long ago did you take it to the dealer? There is a recall for reprogramming the transmission control module. I don't remember if it applies to your specific model year but its worth checking into. I'm guessing you have an automatic transmission? Has the throttle body been cleaned lately. They get sludge built up inside like no tomorrow. That really messes up the throttle response. They didn't find any fault codes in the computer? I wouldn't mess with any chips. Your asking for trouble if you add a chip to an already troubled computer.
Good Luck Chuck
<DIV> <P><FONT face=Arial>The throttle control continues to be the one major (and I mean major) disappointment in my '01 A4 2.8.&nbsp; We've owned it now for most of a year, and put another 15,000 miles on it's original 13,000, and have had no solutions offered by the dealer service department.&nbsp;&nbsp;The car is still under extended warranty, but the dealer says there is nothing to fix!&nbsp; They think it's "normal".&nbsp; My wife and I agree that it's the worst throttle behavior of any of the 15 - 20 cars that we've owned over the years.&nbsp; We never know how the engine will respond, and have to "pussy-foot" the throttle, lest the engine decide to jump ahead, instead of delaying or starting smoothly (rare).&nbsp; No more "care-free" driving -- this throttle demands one's attention.</FONT></P> <P><FONT face=Arial>Is there a </FONT><FONT face=Arial>chip or repair/modification one can make to improve&nbsp;the throttle control?&nbsp; For all of you 1.8T owners, this engine has no turbo, so it's not "turbo lag".&nbsp; I think it's bad software and/or bad sensors and throttle servo design.&nbsp; This is the first year of the "drive-by-wire" throttle.</FONT></P> <P><FONT face=Arial>Ron</FONT></P> <P><FONT face=Arial>-- <BR>Remove "No-Spam" from return address to reply</FONT></P></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=
I've had it to the dealer twice in the last 6 months. I don't remember if they cleaned the throttle body. It seemed to help for about a day when they reset the computer. I couldn't get them to change anything or adjust anything, since they said the car was normal.
Yes, it's an automatic. They didn't say anything about reprogramming the tranny, but the main problem is starting up from a stop, even though it's not so great getting off and on the throttle in normal driving - but tolerable. This engine has classic no-low-end-torque, so the tranny does a lot of shifting. That, coupled with the erratic throttle, makes it hard to get a smooth ride. Passengers wonder why the driver is so jerky (so to speak).
Does anyone else in the group own an '01 2.8? Is yours smooth?
Ron
--
Remove "No-Spam" from return address to reply
"Chuck" < snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net> wrote in message

they
I have a '00 A4 2.8 but it is the manual transmission. It has the 'drive by wire' and I find no problems whatsoever with jerkiness etc.
Hope this helps
Richard
Thanks, Richard.
I thought that 2001 was the first year with the drive by wire throttle. Has yours had any service or adjustments?
Ron
--
Remove "No-Spam" from return address to reply
"Richard Goulding" < snipped-for-privacy@nospam.net> wrote in message

remember
when
hard
Mine is a 2000.5 B5 model manufacturered in 2000. So is the same car as yours I imagine as the B6 A4 didn't have a 2.8 engine choice in the range.
I am the second owner so do not know if any adjustments have been made. I have not had any problems in the 25,000 miles I have done in it. It doesn't feel any different to driving any other car throttle response wise.
Richard

Mine is awful too. Dealer just gave me the blank stare.
--
Wayne Crannell
Xxxxxxx, TX

I've tried for three years to love my Audis ('01 A4 2.8 and '01 A6 2.8), but I just finished the most uncomfortable 2100 mile trip in the A4 of any car I've ever had. And I have two questions. Why should I go through 2 quarts of oil? Why does this car rattle and vibrate more than my mother's '99 Oldsmobile Intrigue? Because it is overpriced and underbuilt.
I rode the same trip on a 650cc single cylinder motorcycle last summer and was more comfortable than in the A4. That is just sad. Both these cars go back to the dealer next summer, and we're done with Audis.
--
Wayne Crannell
Xxxxxxx, TX