Cigarette light "too shallow" for cell phone charger?

Hello -
I've got a 97 A6, and the cigarette lighter is too shallow for the charger cord of my cell phone (Sony Ericsson Z500). Haven't had this problem with other vehicles. Anyone here encounter this and can
recommend a solution?
Thanks.
RB
On 23 Jan 2006 15:15:32 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

I have one vehicle (a Toyota Avalon) where the adapter will not reliably stay in the lighter socket. Don't have that trouble with my A6 though.
Go to an auto supply store (or Radio Shack) and get a male-female lighter cable/adapter or Y-splitter. Take your cellphone adapter to the store to make sure it mates solidly. If the new adapter does not fit the car, take it back. Or get one ($$$) from Audi. :-)
Good luck.
-- Jay. (remove dashes for legal email address)
Jay Somerset wrote:

Thank you both for responding.
I tried going to Radio Shack and tested the "iGo" system, a universal adapter that fits into several different gadgets depending on the interface "tip" you buy. Same problem. That's two adapters that won't fit. Someone out there has had to have the exact same problem. :) Please, speak up!
This might be a pain but I have a 97 A6 also and found that the charger fits better in the rear cigarette lighter better, also that I'm less likely to bump it.
Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for a minute. Set him on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Archangel wrote:

I wish I could say the charger fits *at all*. It literally will not make any electrical connection with the lighter. It's like the contacts aren't touching when it's inserted. It's not just this one -- it's also with the relatively newer "iGo" universal adapter. I don't understand it... and no one seems to have an answer at Audi customer service or even local dealers.
I had the same problem with my radar detector and was told that there is a difference between the US spec charger and the european. apparently, the european is slightly smaller plug, but you should be able to find an adapter at Radioshack or other similar store.
On Jan 29, 1:22 pm, x-audi wrote:

Were you actually able to find a plug yourself?