Cleaning the windshield!?

This is going to sound stupid.. I can't seem to find the right combination of cleaning products to clean my A4 windshield.. I've used Windex and papertowels, Windex and newspaper, a speciality glass cleaner, and nothing seems to work! Everything I use leaves streaks.

What is the secret to a streak-free windshield???

Reply to
Troy Bruder

If you used Rain-X on it, you're gonna need more than Windex...

Reply to
daytripper

Thanks Pete. I'll give that product a try... And I'm always doing it in the sun, maybe that's 1/2 my problem.. The product is "drying" on the glass to quickly.

Troy

Reply to
Troy Bruder

I have used Rain-X on the windshield in the past...

Reply to
Troy Bruder

combination

20 parts water 2 parts ammonia 1 part vinegar

Use one towel to apply, and another to dry.

Save the money you would have spent on fancy fluids - you'll need it for a timing belt.

Reply to
GravyCat

No kidding? That's the trick? Thanks for the tip!

Ugh for the timing belt! At how many miles can I expect to see that nice bill???

Reply to
Troy Bruder

And that's why you are struggling now.

You need something to cut through the polymer film. I don't think that home-brewed windex is gonna do it, either...

Reply to
daytripper

Gunk makes a glass cleaning foam that works great IMHO. Use lint free towels and it is almost as good as hot, wet...well......maybe not that good...

Elroy

2000 S4
Reply to
Elroy the Seedy Impaler

Learned it as a teenager working at the local carwash. It works great, but as others have warned - don't expect it to cut through everything... expecially Rain-X

This is the topic of enormous discussion in this group and elsewhere. I'll give you the short version, and let you research the details:

Ignore factory recommendations and replace the T-belt before 70K miles.

A t-belt failure on these interference engines means 20 or 30 bent valves. Just do it.

If you have a V6, replace the water-pump at the same time - it can leak on the tensioner and cause a cascading failure.

If you have a 1.8T, don't let the mechanic talk you into a water-pump (unless you really suspect it's failing). It's on the other side of the engine from the t-belt.

Expect to pay ~$750 or so for parts and labor.

Reply to
GravyCat

You are correct. The bonds created need to be broken, but it's pretty easy to do. Acid.

Luckily, every has the right acid available - acetic acid. That's right, good ol' vinegar. Take your recipe from above, substitute white vinegar for the ammonia, and liberally slather it onto your windshield. Do it in the shade, BTW. Hose it off and use Windex or whatevewr to finish it up.

Good luck,

Spider

Reply to
Spider

Then you either didn't buff it out very well or you're being *way* too anal retentive about this.

-- C.R. Krieger (Just *drive* it!)

Reply to
C.R. Krieger