Clutch or gear problems?

Driving home tonight and my 1995 Audi A41.8 manual started making cluncking noises and burning(louder as I turned the steering). Clutch pedal felt the same as usual but lost traction, when I tried to put it into gear I was just not moving and it was making for clunking noises.

My question is.... Does this sound like the clutch or the gear box? Seem to remember the gear box being replaced a couple of times in the past history. I've had it two years and it's always been fine.

I really just want to get it home without getting it towed, is there a way I can try to put it into gear and drive it home in the same gear (I'm only a 1/2 mile from my home)

Reply to
rich

Sounds to me like a clutch disk burned and broke up. I wouldn't expect the gearbox to have caused a burning smell but clutches do.

Driving home might work but you would risk causing more damage. If you try this start in low and slowly shift to second and drive very slowly without putting any more than minimal load on the clutch.

Tow> Driving home tonight and my 1995 Audi A41.8 manual started making

Reply to
TonyJ