Cold Shifting 6spd

Love my '03A4Q3L.6spd (13K miles). Got in the car tonight and started her up. Outside ambient temp reads +6F. Waited about 30 seconds. Getting into first was no problem. Second was another story. I didn't
want to force it, so I did a double clutch and raised the RPM a little. It finally slipped in with a little coaxing and grind. No problem once the car was moving for a few min. The questions are is this normal? Should I let it warm up a little longer in the extreme cold? Will any damage result?
Thanks
Howard
howitzer wrote:

This is from my experience with a little less driven A3 (I believe it has the same 6-gear-manual). Grind sounds pretty bad, at least I haven't had any problems at around -20C (+6F is somewhat equal), the 2nd is perhaps a bit frozen, but goes in pretty easily. But maybe if there's water condenced & frozen in there, it could do that.
- Yak