cold start valve & ICU on vacation '87 5KQ

1987 5000S Quattro. Cold start valve doesn't squirt. Takes a LOT of cranking to finally start, and idles high but runs fine, tho poor gas milage, and poor
mixture eventially clogged catylitic converter, rusted out exhaust.
Does anyone think this may be the Ignition Injection Control Unit (ICU) -- if yes the where is it? Is it the one under the passenger side kick panel or the Drivers side?
I've tested the cold start valve -- it works, and replaced the temp switch (junk yard - original was bad). I also tried jumping the temp sensor plug (this should tell the ICU that it's below 68F), but still get no 1-8 sec +12V at the cold start valve plug.
I've replaced the catylitic converter, and not too long ago the fuel pump, fuel filter, and O2 sensor. Anyone have a test procedure for the ICU? (I'm considering just running a wire from a momentary switch on the dash to manually feed 12V to the cold start valve.)
TIA, Jaz
{ Please excuse the 'burp' when replying } "O""O""O""O""O"
Does anyone know of a used parts network that might have an '87 5000S ICU (ignition control unit)? I've decided that the ICU is bad (no +5V present on pin 3). I also realize now that the temp sensor is realy two in one housing, and that jumping the plug was not a good thing to do -- I hope the KCU (knock contril unis) is unhurt.

{ Please excuse the 'burp' when replying } "O""O""O""O""O"
www.car-part.com You might search under ECU (Engine control unit) as well as ICU (more commonly associated with hospitals). Car-part shows a few under "Engine Computer" - ooh, check it out, $1560 in Glendale, CA for a 1984 Engine Computer...I hope they throw in the car at that price - more reasonable prices on Page 16 or so. Cheers! Steve Sears 1987 Audi 5kTQ 1980 Audi 5k 1962 and '64 Auto Union DKW Junior deLuxes (SPAM Blocker NOTE: Remove SHOES to reply)
forgot to take the pills and typed:

Thanks Steve!
Also, in what other CIS-III Audi's (and VW's?) would I find this ECU? So far I haven't found it locally, but if I knew what other cars besides my own carry this brain then I might stand a better chance of finding it. TIA! -Jaz
(PS, I didn't realize this IS the ECU -- I thought the box under the back seat was the ECU, but I'm told it's the ABS brain.. and the Driver kick panel has another, but for what I don't know)
and typed:

{ Please excuse the 'burp' when replying } "O""O""O""O""O"
Jaz, The web site at car-part.com uses the Hollander Interchange Manual - that gives you a fair idea of which parts are interchangable from certain cars - like the alternator in a VW Jetta into my '87 5ktq (ok, easy example, but nonetheless...) HOWEVER, the interchange is not always right - Audi changed things often, and often previous owners might have "hacked" parts to make them work - ECU's often differ with same engine codes - like 1 or 2 knock-sensor MC engines. It's often best to take the number from the part in your car, and call the yard to make sure their's match. A while ago, someone on Audifans ran down the number of electric motors and servos in a Type 44 - the number came to around 20-some. There are control units for many of them - among which are: a/c control unit, ABS control unit, Engine control unit, seat memory control unit, cruise control unit, etc. etc. etc. The Bentley manual gives a rundown of what is located where - yes, the ABS is under the back seat, and in my '87 5ktq the thing behind the hood release lever is called the "Kostal Connector" where the wiring harnesses from the various parts of the car meet together. The Bentley manual has decent wiring diagrams that you can trace faults through - BTDT recently to fix a problem I've been having with intermittent dash lights (temporarily fixed by putting the correct wattage bulb in the driver's side license plate light - who knew?) - make sure that you check the fuse panel too - nothing worse than tearing into the dash just to find out that it's a fuse that's burned out. Cheers! Steve Sears 1987 Audi 5kTQ - is there supposed to be 7 volts coming from circuit 13 into circuit 14 with the ignition switch on? not sure about that one...yet. 1980 Audi 5k - born with a/c control unit sensors in my skin 1962 and '64 Auto Union DKW Junior deLuxes - 2 electric motors (starter and windshield wipers) - what bliss.... (SPAM Blocker NOTE: Remove SHOES to reply)