Constant noise from Audi A4

I have a 2000 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro. Recently it has developed a constant noise, and I am wondering what it might be. Here are the details:

  • The noise gradually appeared over the last month or two. It started as: "Is the car a little louder than usual?" and now is: "The car is a lot louder than usual."
  • The noise could be characterized as a roar; it is almost like road noise
  • It is not at all cyclical. It is a constant drone or roar that remains the same as long as I'm going a particular speed
  • It seems to come from the rear half of the vehicle
  • It does not increase with acceleration, like a muffler problem. In fact, it is most noticeable when cruising along at a constant speed in a low to middle gear, or when the wheels are turning but I am not pressing on the gas

I am not experienced with cars, so an obvious problem can't be ruled out.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

-= Get GrabIt for free from

=-

Reply to
Grapeape

Few guesses, so I don't have any hard evidence how problems on these areas really show up:

- quattro 4wd: differential gear on back (lubrication problem?)

- rear brake pads worn

- rear wheel bearings

Regards, Sami

Reply to
Sami Heikkinen

Well, he *did* claim he couldn't rule out the obvious, and bearings and dragging brakes rarely make "roaring" noises, so...

Rotate the rear tires to the front and vice versa, and see if the problem moves, or not...

/daytripper '00 s4 6spd

Reply to
daytripper

It depends on what the poster calls a 'roar'.

Rear bearings are about due on a '00 audi. I have heard rear bearings fail that are quite loud so my guess would be bearings but then we are all just guessing.

TonyJ '98.5 A4 1.8TQM

Reply to
Tony

Could the OP be hearing the fuel pump? I am thinking that his current fuel filter is partially clogged making the fuel pump work harder and become noisier. Maybe a fuel filter change might allow more fuel to travel through the system. When was the last time that you changed the filter?

Others have suggested bearings and tires so I threw out another idea. ;-) Exhaust vibration?

My $0.02 later, dave (One out of many daves)

Reply to
one out of many daves

Like others have said........

Bearings, they are sealed and will just get louder and louder untill you can no longer bear the sound :)

Reply to
Ronny

Hey I've had the same problem with my car. Have your mechanic check the fuel pump. My fuel pump was making the same noises while accelerating or using other power units (like my windows or xenons). There has been recalls on the in-tank pumps, so make sure you get that checked out. My car's stalled while driving with this issue. Good Luck!

Reply to
m_saturnino29