coolant

I've had to top up the coolant level in the radiator expansion tank on my Audi A2 today. The manual says it's important to maintain a 40% mix of anti-freeze to water but that you can top up with plain water in a
emergency (which is what I did). How important is this ratio, and how much liquid does the tank hold? I probably put about a litre into it, and I don't want it to freeze with the cold weather coming up.

If you put a litre in, you've got a leak, which is a problem.
Bearing in mind the age (or lack of it) of even the oldest A2, that is surprising. Have it investigated.
Regards
Jonathan
Initially it was a lot less than that. Then, in my haste, I drove off without putting the cap back on. That's when it needed the 2nd top up. Obviously if it goes down again I'll get it checked out.
Jonathan Morton wrote:

Well, I went and got it checked out and there is no leak, so I wonder all that coolant went!
Anyway, they topped it up with antifreeze and didn't charge me anything so I'm a happy bunny.