Corvette losing to an Audi?

Page 1 of 4
Now I realize that most Corvette's can take your average Audi but I thought I would share the following....
http://mydubmedia.com/~imavwguy/TOX_vs_C5.wmv
<putting on flame retardant undies!>
-- Taylor
'89 Audi 200 '03 Audi S6 Avant '98 Jeep Cherokee Sport
Obviously the Audi got a HUGE hole shot on the Corvette, so what's the whole story here? Did the Corvette driver fall asleep? Was the Corvette in 4th gear? Come on...fess up :o)
--

-|>- Diode -<|-
'68 L79 Coupe

Car and Driver had an article about drag racing street cars and spoke and spent the day at the track in a Hummer 2... with the handicap that was done it did quiet well. The article also talked about a amateur racer who did it in a rental cars and preferred Ford Taurus's because they were very consistent throughout the day.
-- Taylor
'89 Audi 200 '03 Audi S6 Avant '98 Jeep Cherokee Sport
Kevin Hill wrote:

That is called Bracket racing. They let them go based on thier bracket, so they reach the finish at the same time. It's more fun to watch that way.
--
________________________________
Klecko's Komrades. All the way in 2003

I'm thinking experienced Audi driver up against new "look at me" Corvette owner :) I found the video at www.audifans.com and the owner is a Audi tuner... Don't know much about the Corvette owner.
Oh and maybe the Audi beating real sports cars is not so unique after all!!
http://www.realityrun.be/movie/Ferrari%20F360%20spider%20vs%20Audi%20RS4.avi
I think the driver of the Silver Avant had the kids and a few bags of groceries in the back too :)
-- Taylor
'89 Audi 200 '03 Audi S6 Avant '98 Jeep Cherokee Sport

"Intro to Rev Limiters" ;-)
Two Audi RS-6s beat the hell out of Corvettes, BMWs in a recent road race (actually an airport track with lots of hairpins). The Audis qualified 1 and 2. When the lights turned green, both accelerated very quickly to take a nice lead which they never gave up. Can't remember the sanctioning body, however. It was on Speed last week-end.
Dave '03 RS-6 Avus/Ebony http://hometown.aol.com/davplac/myhomepage/index.html
On 20 Nov 2003 12:21:10 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comPirate (Dave LaCourse) wrote:

Car and Driver had a 0-100-0 test recently and the RS 6 came up last... Oh but the field included a AMG E55, Viper, 911 Turbo, Lamborghini Murcilago and others. No Corvette's, no Mustang's. The RS 6 ran with the big boys and looked great doing so.
Oh but in another test with the BMW M5, Mercedes AMG E55, Jaguar S-type R and Audi RS 6, it spanked them all in pretty much every category other than straight line speed. The RS 6 finished first in the pack :)
http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id &article_ide67
-- Taylor
'89 Audi 200 '03 Audi S6 Avant '98 Jeep Cherokee Sport

ARG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
--
The Apostrophe Police

Aren't Audi's those cars in the mid 80's that use to run people over when switching out of park? If a car manufacturer doesn't make a good impression at the beginning, forget about it making it later.
Hold on let me see,,,,,,OK here,,,,Without even trying I found an article on the net,,
You might remember of European cars suffering from "Uncommanded Acceleration syndrome" I remember that some European car manufacturers including Audi were sued when their cars allegedly accelerated on starting. Not sure what the outcome was. Possibly a lose gear linkage allowing the ignition lockout switch to be on when the car is effectively in reverse?

You are partially right. The television rag "60 Minutes" did a hack job on Audi in 1986 about "Unintended Acceleration." Audi was slow to respond and defend themselves and they paid dearly for many years. However that was then, not now....

Here in the USA it was because bonehead drivers didn't know the gas pedal from the brake pedal. Yes a young child was killed by his mother when she went to put her car in drive and accelerated, smashing the child against the wall of her garage. It came down to placing the two pedals close together and people were confused. Audi was the Ford Pinto because it was popular at the time. Fact is there were more reported incidents with the Nissan 300SX... Jeep had the same problem with its Grand Cherokee in the mid 1990's. *ALL* cars with automatic trans can have this problem.
Anyway in the late 1990's Audi was cleared and Car and Driver did a article on the whole incident. Any Corvette owner wanting to show off with a big smokey burnout knows the best way to do so is brake standing it... if the brakes can hold a Corvette in place what will happen with a FWD/AWD Audi producing 167hp (Turbo models?) Its the same old problem of blame others for your own mistakes...
Oh but Chevy never did *anything* wrong/stupid/bad, right? How's that Vega of yours? :)
-- Taylor
'89 Audi 200 '03 Audi S6 Avant '98 Jeep Cherokee Sport
Key here is the word "allegedly". I don't believe that it was ever proven that ANY manufacturer had a real problem. If you remember it wasn't just Audi that was accused, it was also Ford and a few others. It started to look like the phenomena was the product of over zealous media types. Just like the road rage "epidemic". After local and state agencies spent hundreds of thousands of dollars to address that "epidemic", the media finally admitted (very quietly, of course) that there was NO data to support their claims that there was an ever rising number of road rage incidents. In fact, the number of problems has been unchanged for many years. Purely media hype.
--
-|>|- Diode -|<|-
68 L79 Coupe

Total bullshit - normal US citizen cant just drive H geared manual car and when you are used to automatic transmission, these things happen. However, do not take this a blame against all yankees, but due the fact that you still are used to automatics unfortunate things happen.....
And the video clipped didnt have anything to do with Corvette sleeping.... Audi had 4 wheels drive and jumped like a frog from the line, but loosed a lot in the end.... still when you live in country where theres snow 5 months a year, forget the Corvette, heheh
Saw a video clip of american youth accelerating euro car. It was awful to watch, the guy accelerated straight to parking lot because didnt had a slitest idea what to do with back wheels spinning and car sliding.....horrible!
Look at what I found in Car & Driver
Instant torque and all-wheel drive conspire to hammer this big car to 60 mph in 4.4 seconds,
Chevy claims the car will sprint to 60 mph in 3.9 seconds-0.1 second quicker than what we achieved.
Can you guess which is which???
By the way, the Corvette is Ranked 1 of top 10 best cars in Car & Driver while the Audi is still on the waiting list.

I guess car & driver is american? =)
check out european top lists, they might be a bit different (e.g. top gear)
there are quite a lot of audi's I would prefer to a corvette anytime... just a matter of personal taste I suppose
-- Dave
Very true, but I wouldn't go to a news group and brag about anopther car manufacturer. Someone that does that is being Critic & more of an idiot especially if he doesn't own that specific car he's talking about.

if you actually read all the information on your screen you would have seen that this thread is cross posted in alt.autos.audi and alt.autos.corvette, which makes you look like the idiot my friend... and I do own an Audi that I would prefer over a Corvette btw (otherwise I would have bought a Corvette)
And I'm not trying to insult Corvette-owners or anything, it's just a matter of personal taste as I said before.
-- Dave
Next time keep your thread & personal taste in the Audi newsgroup only, as we keep ours in the Corvette group only. I own a Corvette that I prefer & will always prefer over any Audi or else I would have done the big mistake on buying an Audi.