Corvette losing to an Audi?

Page 3 of 4
I totally understand your saying, but posting an add in both groups with a title such as "corvette loosing to an audi" isn't a joke to me so yes it may
be an issue here. Then again, what goes around comes around so I know that one day the subject title will be reversed and I'll just sit back and watch my own show.

point

An ad? What exactly was I to gain by posting an "ad" if it was that? Do you have *ANY* concept on how Usenet works?
As for the comes around thing, well you hurry up and waste no time showing how much of a man you are and tape yourself beating a Audi then showing your "ad" here. I for one would enjoy it. Unlike you I don't need to be reassured time and time again that what I own or don't own is the best...

-- Taylor
'89 Audi 200 '03 Audi S6 Avant '98 Jeep Cherokee Sport
I won't reassure time, it will just happen on it's own.

the
be
after

Nothing loose at all. The cars were equipped with gearboxes that allowed them to be shifted into gear without a foot on the brake pedal. More follows:

Ummm, for our uninformed Finnish friend, these *were* all automatics. 'Unintended acceleration' *never occurred* in manual gearbox cars. The reason is simple. People were putting their foot on the wrong pedal (the accelerator instead of the brake). When they shifted into a gear from Park (usually, to Reverse) or from Neutral (Reverse or Drive), they were startled by the sudden acceleration and pressed the pedal harder to *stop* when they were actually still on the wrong pedal. Then, they'd crash. Now, VW/Audi gearboxes (as well as most cars in the US) have an interlock that prevents the gearbox from being shifted from Park without having the brake pedal depressed at the same time.
The reason it affected Audi the most is also simple. Audi's pedals were placed closer together than any other car on the US market, so this driver error was most likely to occur. The second most closely spaced pedals were in Mercedes. Want to guess which manufacturer had the second highest ratio of 'unintended acceleration' complaints?

This much is true. Spreading the acceleration forces out among all four contact patches definitely does allow for a slightly quicker launch. My old 4000 Quattro could launch at 0.88g while a similarly-sized but 2WD BMW 325is could only manage 0.67g on comparable (R compound) tires. The advantage quickly evaporated in light of his 167(?) hp vs. my 110 ...

Yeah; on those rare occasions when I see a 'Vette venturing out in the Wisconsin snow, I have no trouble 'dusting' it off with a Quattro.

Maybe you misunderstood. This is now a *competitive event* among the 'ricers'. -- C.R. Krieger Been there; slid that.
CR, I may be wrong - much like the folks who say that AUDI stands for Accelerates Under Demonic Influence - but was there not a case where a certain Chev engine, when the motor mounts failed, the engine would move under load and yank on the throttle cable? I seem to recall that I read an article about that and the fix at GM was to provide a supplemental restraint (ie - chain) to keep the engine from moving the throttle. Then again, I didn't check the Snopes.com site for this. That said, however, although you can see in the movie "The Insider" about how 60 Minutes was run (Audi just didn't have as much clout/$$$ as the tobacco companies did) - there were issues with the cars other than the proximity of the accelerator to the brake pedal - take the cruise control linkage. The rod is held on the vacuum servo end in a plastic bushing which, in the turbos, is exposed to a LOT of heat. The plastic degrades, the flared rod end falls into the engine.....if it gets stuck on the injector lines, then..... I've heard Audi produced some kind of back-up device to catch the rod - I've never seen one though. Also, a properly working ISV will allow the car to trundle along in any gear, foot off the gas, at idle speed. If anybody looks at www.autosafety.org they'll see all sorts of UI complaints for basically all cars. What _is_ true, though, is that the brakes have more power than the engine. And then, of course, there's the key....... On the dragracing front, in the Audi camp there are people like Javad with his 034EFI'd 80tq at www.80tq.com and a guy named Radim in the Toronto area with his T4/Megasquirt equipped 5000tq (there's a video of him doing burnouts in an Ikea parking lot circulating on the web). Amazing what they can do with that much hp in a car intended as a luxury sedan. I save the donuts and drag racing for the times where's there's 6 or more inches of snow on the road. Cheers! Steve Sears 1987 Audi 5kTQ - aka snowmobile 1980 Audi 5k - The Panzer 1962 and '64 Auto Union DKW Junior deLuxes - built like snowmobiles (SPAM Blocker NOTE: Remove SHOES to reply)

when
manufacturers
the
reverse?
and
However,
sleeping....
months

Dan writes:

LOL. Yeah, along with Fords and Cadillacs. The Audi got bad press from "60 minutes", and was totally cleared of any wrong-doing. But "60 minutes" never did write a retraction. There was an Audi dealer in the Northwest - Seatle I believe - who revved an Audi to 5000 rpms and with his foot on the brake, dropped it into gear. The car stalled. He repeated this hundred of times at different high revs and with his foot on the brake, the car either stalled or went nowhere. What was *really* amazing is that the transmission didn't break. So, your "unintended acceleration" claim is pure bull shit. It was then and it is now. Dave
http://hometown.aol.com/davplac/myhomepage/index.html

It was stupid american drivers, unable to differentiate between the accelerator and brake pedals.
--
Mark

Or might it have been the stupid Europeans that nearly stuck the 2 pedals together.
wrote:

when
ever heard of heel-toe downshifting? :)

Dave wrote:

In an *automatic*?
- Greg Reed
--
1976 Cadillac Fleetwood Formal Limousine
(for sale: http://www.dataspire.com/caddy )

when
You couldnt be more right - americans.... auts
Fun for the meantime,,,after some years, Audi's eventually end up at junk yard, but Corvettes are always in circulation no matter how old they get.
wrote:

whole
4th
http://www.realityrun.be/movie/Ferrari%20F360%20spider%20vs%20Audi%20RS4.avi
BB, Well.....that may be kinda true. Although I have seen vettes in the yards that I regularly cruise for parts for my cars. Problem is, they seldom _look_ like vettes....more like remnants of Jaws of Life work. My Uncle used to play a game with his carpool - "Beetle" was worth 1 point...."Graveyard" (aka Corvette) was worth 10. Don't get me wrong, I like the look of vettes - esp. the ones in the showrooms lately - what do they say...."With great power comes great responsibility"... I attend cruise nights with my '62 DKW (predecessors to today's Audi) - I have yet to see another. My friend is restoring a '56 vette and paid more for a convertible top than I paid for my DKW - which was nearly in show-ready condition. I attended a show last year that had 1300 cars (www.haugensbbq.com) - the guy in the souped-up Mustang beside me got talking, "Let me ask you this.....your car has about one tenth the horsepower (~ 36 hp) than any other car in this line.....so why is your car the only one with a crowd around it?" ;-) There are many older Audis around - I figure that there fewer there are, the more rare mine become (I said "more rare"...not "increased market value"). Cheers! Steve Sears 1987 Audi 5kTQ 1980 Audi 5k 1962 and '64 Auto Union DKW Junior deLuxes (SPAM Blocker NOTE: Remove SHOES to reply)
wrote:

http://www.realityrun.be/movie/Ferrari%20F360%20spider%20vs%20Audi%20RS4.avi

http://www.realityrun.be/movie/Ferrari%20F360%20spider%20vs%20Audi%20RS4.avi
<< Fun for the meantime,,,after some years, Audi's eventually end up at junkyard, but Corvettes are always in circulation no matter how old they get.

Yea, odd seeing as most of those 180-200Hp Stingray Vettes from the 1970s and 80s should be in the junk yard too. Or all the horridly ugly C4s in bad shape I see rolling around. How about the 1998 C5s with interiors that are already cracking, ripping, and changing color because of the cheap leather and vinyl GM stuck inside them. A nice compliment to the radio, which has a deck sourced from a late 1990s Pontiac. A few Vettes stand out as being exceptionally neat and collectible like the ZR1 and 427 Stingray. Most of them, however, stand out as being archaic and ugly, incapable of delivering inspiring performance, and kept in circulation merely because the ubiqutious 350 is so cheap to repair. I see a lot of 88-93 Ford Taurus roaming about in lower-income neighborhoods. Doesn't make it a desireable car. I'd much rather drive a 1995 S6 than anything GM was building that year, and I'm fairly sure the 95' S6 still holds better resale than a 95' Corvette. Hell, GM's "special" edition Grand Sport from only a year later can be had for under $20k now.
A nice compliment to the radio, which has a deck sourced from a late 1990s Pontiac.
Don't see too many Vette's having their sourced 1990 Pontiac radios replaced as the amount of Audi owners have their factory radios replaced, Gotta be a good reason for that.
How about the 1998 C5s with interiors that are already cracking, ripping, and changing color because of the cheap leather and vinyl GM stuck inside them.
Well, although I haven't seen too many of these cases, I guess GM refuses to use cement leather material as Europeans use that results in back pains after a couple of driving hours.
GM's "special" edition Grand Sport from only a year later can be had for under $20k now
You have no idea what a Grand Sport is. Remember what I said, the 95 S6 will be at the junk yard one day. I supose it will still be worth more than the 95 Vette still in circulation???,,,Ya Right.....

get.
and
shape I

vinyl GM

sourced
neat
stand out

and
repair. I

neighborhoods.
anything
better
only

I'm willing to see if he meant LT1 or LT4, he had the HP right.
As for rust, obviously you don't have a clue about Audi's either. Though never a major problem all Audi's since 1986 had fully galvanized bodies, making rust pretty much non-factor no matter where you live. No rust and they don't creak and rattle like the Corvette's over time.
Anything else you care to whine about? People like what they like. Why are you so defensive? The Vette may be a great ride but it is not without its own problems....
-- Taylor
'89 Audi 200 '03 Audi S6 Avant '98 Jeep Cherokee Sport

They even go round corners!
--
Toby

I didn't say or ask anything about rust on Audi's, I only corrected the mistake because it is a pretty big one.