Corvette losing to an Audi?

Page 4 of 4
I just stated my opinion about a good point of the Corvette having a much longer life than an Audi but I may have sized up the issue and hell broke loose & 1 thing lead to many others. What can I tell you, we each have our
own opinions on cars...
By the way I really like the Cherokee Sport. It's a cool model & the 4 litre engine is undestructible. Just my opinion.

<< I'm willing to see if he meant LT1 or LT4, he had the HP right. >>
Thank you for giving me the benefit of the doubt. I did mean LT4. The LT1 was the standard engine in "base" C4s at that time and it's often what first pops into mind when discussing them.
Black Bomb wrote:

You must have a weak back. I've had my Passat (with leather seats) on numerous 3+ hour trips with no back pains. I must say, though, the most comfortable seat I've ever run across is still the cloth-upholstered seat that was in my last car, a Saturn LS2. My back would actually feel *better* after a few hours in that seat. ;-)
-- Mike Smith
Mike Smith wrote:

I agree, Mike.
Ten years ago I drove from Roanoke, Va. to Boston in ten hours (692 miles). I was driving a '90 200 Turbo. When I arrived home, I mowed the lawn. No sore back on this old man. My wife and I drove every year round trip from Boston to Road Atlanta for the SCCA Nationals (until they changed the venue to Mid Ohio - sux!). No sore backs. The seats in that '90 200 weren't anywhere near as good as the seats in my '94 S4. My present RS-6 has even better seats.
Before purchasing the RS-6, I drove the S4, A8L, Merc AMG, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, and the BMW 5 series. (It was a very tough choice between the RS-6 and the A8L - the old man in me said A8, while the kid in me said 450 bhp.) They all have wonderful seats. I also drove an '03 Vette. It was comfortable, but on a long trip, it would be murder on these old bones.
You know absolutely nothing about driving if you think that Euro cars have bad seats when compared to GM seats.
Dave '03 RS-6 Avus/Ebony http://hometown.aol.com/davplac/myhomepage/index.html
If you can lean your head on the head rest and have a full vision of all mirrors, as I do in my Corvette, there is a chance that your back will be fine after a long trip. My uncle has a BMW 3 series & a Pontiac Grand Prix. When he has to do a long trip, he takes his Grand Prix due to seating comfort. Obviously an RS-6 at the price it costs has to have a better seating than a 3 series BMW, but is it much a better seating???? If you say it is, well then I'll have to beleive it cause I've never been in an RS-6. I will pay attention to all this in the new year when I go to the anual car show. The opinions will then stay with me.

Black Bomb writes:

You miss the point. Your statement that Euro cars use stiff leather and therefore your back must hurt after driving for awhile is false. I'm an old man and long drives tend to be a little tedious for me. However, a good driving position in a comfortable seat makes a world of different. The Audi seats have an almost infinite number of adjustments - up/down, seat tilt up/down, back support tilt back/forward, whole seat back/forward. Plus a lumbar support that can be adjusted as you drive or whenever. And, there are three different positions that you can program so you can change your driving position while you're on the road, and that includes steering wheel and rearview mirrors. The passenger *also* has the same choices (except for the steering wheel and mirrors, of course). Probably the most important feature of Audis I have owned is the length of the seat itself- it gives support of the legs all the way to the bend in your knee.
All of this has *nothing* to do with leather. The Vette that I drove was quite stiff. The seats were very good, but the ride would tire me after a few hours. Just an old man's oppinion.
Dave RS-6 Avus/Ebony http://hometown.aol.com/davplac/myhomepage/index.html
<< My uncle has a BMW 3 series & a Pontiac Grand Prix. When he has to do a long trip, he takes his Grand Prix due to seating comfort. >>
I've ridden in Grand Prixs, and ridden in/driven BMWs of various model and vintage. And this is an odd claim. I found the Grand Prix, the rear seats especially, to be one of the most uncomfortable cars I've ever been in.
<< I must say, though, the most comfortable seat I've ever run across is still the cloth-upholstered seat that was in my last car, a Saturn LS2. My back would actually feel *better* after a few hours in that seat. >>
I finally got to ride in a new Saturn, and I must say, it's not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. If I were buying an average-priced American sedan, I'd take their product over anything in the Chevy/Pontiac/Buick lineups..
Speaking of Saturn,,,Is that Ecotec engine any good? I've had my Grand Am for over 12 years & I'm thinking when it's time, I'd like to replce it with another one & I know that they have the Ecotec engine.
Thanks

<< Speaking of Saturn,,,Is that Ecotec engine any good? >>
I drove a Cavalier powered by the 2.2 litre Ecotec and found it to be reasonable for a n/a 4 cylinder. The 2.4 litre 155Hp mill they sold in the Cavalier Z24 was a hell of a lot more fun, and had much better torque response, but it's no longer avaliable. The Cavalier and Sunfire, which also use the ECOTEC engine, both have less than fantastic reliability but I'm not sure if their problems are engine related or otherwise. Saturn seems to have a fairly good reputation, and seem to make the best quality sedans among the GM companies, albeit they seem to be the most bland as well. The new Grand Prix I drove (I'm not sure if it was an 03' or an 04', it's the new style) was less than impressive. It had plenty of power but it's a boat, floaty and overweight, and the interior quality was sub-par to say the least. The back seats are useless as well. The Grand Am is a better looking car IMHO, but it's being replaced with a new version similarly styled to the new GP, which I don't particularly like. Frankly, Volvo's new S40 along with Volkswagen's Jetta and Passat would be far more appealing to me than anything being made by a GM company, even Honda's new 240Hp V6 Accord is more satisfying to me than those American cars.

They do? What about this one? its a 1929 for those who are too lazy to click the link.
http://www.audiworld.com/news/03/111103 /
Yep it was a garage queen, <13,000 miles , was sold as a chassis by "Audi" and is the only known survivor out of 145 believed to be produced. So your point would be?
From article
"since it has only covered a total of 19,000 kilometres according to the odometer reading. The car has now been restored to its former splendour, but Audi Tradition does not intend for the moment to display it in the Audi museum mobile in Ingolstadt. Thomas Frank, Head of Audi Tradition: The Audi Imperator will initially be reserved for use on special company occasions. "
snoogans27 wrote:

Older than any vette? :) Really just making a joke. I have nothing against 'vettes.

Come on guys; take a look at the way the Vette stalls out of the lights. This junior bracket racer was sitting at the light with his tranny in third gear. By the time he down shifted, the Audi was so far out front and had built up a good lead. Get a guy behind the wheel of the Vette who can nail a light (and be in first) and the Audi is history. Hey, I hear Pedregon is looking for a ride! But nah! He'd never be able to handle a Vette
:-)

<< Get a guy behind the wheel of the Vette who can nail a light (and be in first) and the Audi is history. >>
The standard C5, with a 0-60 time of around 4.7 seconds couldn't ever hope to keep up with an RS6. The Z06 has a theoretically lower 0-60 time than the RS6 (by .02 of a second) but getting that kind of time out of it would demand professional skill and 2 or 3 of those runs would all but destroy the clutch. The old 2000 Turbo Quattro was faster than any C4 Vette' when it came out, in fact, it was even faster than some Ferraris of the era. At 5.2 seconds to 60 from a standstill, the S4 is nearly as fast as a C5 and far more useable. I venture to say that in bad weather and/or in the dry around a tight road, the S4 could give a C5 a good run.
<< LT1????You still don't know what a Grand Sport is so give it up. And Corvette's body don't rust. I hope you are you starting to learn something????? >>
Actually, it was a typo. Up to 1995, the 300Hp LT1 was standard fair in the C4 Corvette. For 1996, the LT1 remained the standard engine, and the only way to get an automatic tranny with a C4. But the LT4 with 330Hp was added as an option to "base" models and made the standard engine in the Grand Sport. Black painted brakes and wheels, new leather seating surfaces, the paint job/badging, and the LT4 were what seperated the Grand Sport from a standard Corvette. Although my typo does not dismiss the fact that the Grand Sport has lost tremendous value. I could've easily picked one up in fine shape for less that what my 2002 Volkswagen cost. Compare this to the average costs of a 1995 S6 or 1996 Carrera 2, and you'll see how much better the German cars stand in resale. You've also failed to address my other points, but I'm not surprised, as even a hardcore Corvette fan would have an awful time trying to dispute them.
Concerning the Grand Sport, I can see that you've done some homework.

Standard Corvettes came with used leather that year?
--
Mark