Cost of 60,000 mile service for S4

The dealer told me that the cost for the 60,000 mile service for a 2001 S4 is over $700. Is this a typical price? It seems excessive to me.
Beyond the regular service items they do spark plug change,
air filter change, and a few other things that don't seem like they should take four hours and $700. I'm in the Boston area and is expensive, but that's still a lot of money.
--
John Carr ( snipped-for-privacy@mit.edu)

John,
From what I can gather seeing prices for my 91 200TQ, and seeing other posts that have had a similar subject matter, that price isn't extremely inflated. Something that will make it look even worse, is that you may want to do the timing belt at this point also. I'll let others who are more acquainted with your engine to confirm or deny that, but generally the group recomendation (hmm, bit egotistical of me to speak for the group, but hey...) is around 60,000 miles.
In what part of the "Boston area" do you live? I live in Manchester, NH and have found a couple really good shops that could probably do the same job for quite a bit less money. I've also found a few that are about the same.
Enjoy Bill
91 200 TQ (which will be soon on EBAY in case any one is interested) 96 Chevy K1500

"John F. Carr" wrote

Sounds like typical dealer rates - high part prices and high labor charges - nothing unusual. If you know of a reputable independent shop, they may be able to do it for less.
The things you listed are generally DIY items, and buying parts online can save you a lot of money as well. It's up to you.
Cheers,
Pete
snipped-for-privacy@mit.edu (John F. Carr) wrote:

Actually, if it comes in that low, I'll be happy. My A6 is getting near that and considering the cost of anything Audi, less than $1000 seems low.
--
Wayne Crannell
Xxxxxxx, TX

Sounds a bargain to me - I just paid 380 for a 50K mile dealer service on a 2000 1.6 A3!