Creaking steering column

I have a 1999 A6 1.9 TDI - recently I had a rubbing noise from what appeared to be the steering column. I had the column lubed by the local garage. However now after driving the car for 10 minutes or so each journey, it goes
from being fine to making a creaking noise. I'm guessing that the lubrication has helped but wonder if it needs more to 'work its way in'. Has anyone got this problem (it seems common) or any ideas on how to remedy it???

I am no expert on A6s but A4s suffer from front suspension problems, in extreme cases you will get quite loud creaking sounds which sound as if there coming from the steering rack or suspension when steering around corners, the noise is due to worn suspension arms, if one of two of the arms are showing signs of wear its best & coat effective to replace the lot, you can get a Audi kit which for the A4 ( B5 ) which costs about 330 uk pounds + vat, this comprises of all 8 suspension arms, ( 4 each side ) 2 tie rod ends, 2 C links & all the associated nuts, bolts & washers, very easy to fit if you have the right tools, should take about 7 hours,
Steve.
I don't think it's the arms as it creaks slightly when the car is stationary and turning the wheel a little - I just had the lower driver's side arm replaced and the others were fine.

its normaly the upper ones that creak, they get dry, mine passed its mot as they only look for free play in them, get someone to move the wheel slightly while you listen by the wheel,
Steve.