Dealer is trying to sell me a 2004 buyback S4...

Well, judging from the comments in here, I could get a NEW S4 for roughly $48K, right?
The dealer just called me and is trying to sell me a 2004 silver S4 with
automatic, premium, cold-weather, Bose audio, and all-season tires. The car has 2000 miles on it, and the warranty has been extended to 6 years and 100,000 miles. It "had a bad engine, and the engine has been totally replaced." That alone makes me very hesitant. Here's the nearly funny part: they are asking $48,980 for this car. I think it would be a deal if it was like $42K, with "a whole new engine". The S4, equiped as I want it lists at $50,070. Couldn't I get a new one for about $48K? What does everyone else think?
Randy in Chicago
Randy, I'd steer clear of that "deal"....who knows what else got damaged when the car coughed out the engine. The extended warranty is nice, but see what it covers - the tires are worn, the brakes too, etc. etc. You might offer them $42k and see what they say - otherwise walk away. Cheers! Steve Sears 1987 Audi 5kTQ - building my own Faux S-Car 1980 Audi 5k 1962 and '64 Auto Union DKW Junior deLuxes (SPAM Blocker NOTE: Remove SHOES to reply)

On 18 May 2004 15:58:51 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Randy S) wrote:

Stay away.
Randy S wrote:

Stay away from "buy back" cars, no matter how good the deal sounds (which this one isn't anyway). Some mechanic has taken a lot of things apart and it's unlikely he put it back together with the same attention to detail as the factory. I could tell you some buy back horror stories, not to mention the resale impact.
On 18 May 2004 15:58:51 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Randy S) wrote:

If that S4 had an MSRP of $50K, at any asking price above $44-45K it's an utter no-brainer. Walk away. Quickly.
If they'll go below $44K - THEN you'll have an actual question to answer...
/daytripper '00 s4 6spd