Dealer or Other - 90K Service - '99 A6

Again - thanks to all who helped me with the "Need Brakes - Dealer or Other" thread. In January, I'll be hittting 90K miles on my '99 A6. I called the dealer to find out about the recommended service(s).

1st thing he asked about was my timing belt - I had already had it done at 75K (at the dealer for $1700 or $1800 - I do believe the dealer is the best place to go for this one). So, the things on his hit parade were

- oil/filter change

- cabin air filter change

- inspect car all over

- spark plugs

- brake fluid flush

for a total cost of $650

I think I can save hundreds on this one.

( Good for me I just had the brake system flushed )

So, I'm wondering again, should I take it to my local AAA-owned AutoMark, or is there something special the dealer service provides on this one.

What would you do?

Thanks (again)... ...Mike

Reply to
...Mike

You can do the cabin filter yourself. On my '03 A4 it doesn't even require any tools. Just peel the weather stripping back that holds down the plenum over the fire walls and snap open the plastic box that contains the filter.

Spark plugs are very easy too.

You definitely do not need the Audi dealer to do that stuff. You could probably have found a respectable repair shop that works on Audis to do the timing belt for $1000.

--Art

Reply to
Art M

Thanks Art,

Actually. the "respectable" independents wanted in the $1400 neighborhood. In that case, I went with the dealer bacause a) not that big of a percentage price difference b) my perceived expertise of the dealer and c) my comfort level

Thanks for the other info as well

...Mike

Reply to
...Mike