Dealer service worth it?

Having recently had a turbo replaced under warranty, I accepted dealer's recommendation to replace plugs, air filter and do a "fuel injection job" -- cleaning out throttle body, whatever -- on my 2001
A4 1.8TQ with 41k miles during a paid service interval. I feel there is a noticeable performance pickup, particularly accelleration, after the job. Or am I just imagining same after a rather stiff charge? Comments, pls.
NO!
You can usually do all that stuff yourself very easily and for a lot less. Parts are cheaper from aftermarket sources. Depends how much you value your spare time. I actually find working on my car kind of theraputic, plus saves me many bucks.
May have to invest in some simple tools though.
Last week I installed new rear rotors and pads. Entailed removing two screws on each side. Dealer would have charged at least 2 hours labour. Took me one hour, tho I did need a special $40 tool to rotate in caliper piston.
Tony 96 S6

In the US, Autozone lends that tool for free; you don't even have to buy your parts from them.
Sorry, Canadian...

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 20:25:14 -0400, "Tony Curran"

I know I could do it myself IF this and IF that, but what I was more interested in is whether my impression of a performance boost as a result of the work is legit in the experience of others. Thanks.

It's certainly possible if you had a filthy air filter, or a misfiring spark plug... Hard to say without being there. (I have a 91 Integra that had the ceramic around a spark plug electrode fall into the cylinder. You should have heard how badly it ran then.) There is a TSB on the throttle body clean up.
What was wrong with the turbo? Seems unusual to have to replace it so soon.
--Art
Well, if the old turbo wasn't working properly, then sure, the car could feel a lot peppier now. Plugs and filter could make a difference too, if they were fouled/clogged, respectively.
Dan D '04 A4 1.8Tq MT-6 Central NJ USA

Not quite. Had new turbo in and running a couple of weeks before the other maintenance was done -- and that's when I noticed the pickup.
RN
On Sun, 2 Oct 2005 14:53:49 -0400, "Art M"

Lost oil pressure suddenly at speed -- clogged intake screen as a result of what's generally known as "the oil sludge problem," and turbo lines were affected as well.
RN

That's what I was wondering. Join the crowd. I hope they removed your valve cover and cleaned in there. That's assuming the check of your camshaft bearing caps didn't warrant a new engine. See the TSB here: http://www.pookrat.com/uploads/pics/TSB.pdf . Remove your oil filler cap and look inside. See anything but black? (the plastic oil deflectors are black but everything else is metal and even if it's a bit varnished it shouldn't have a thick pitch black coating).
Audi didn't cover my 2003 A4 sludge problem because the previous owner went 12471 miles without an oil change when Audi had their asinine recommendation for 10,000+ mile oil change intervals using regular oil.
You should at least try to get compensated for the throttle body clean up by claiming it was sludge related. (The supposed extended warranty is good for 8 years so keep your oil change receipts). Of course don't piss them off. When I finally got mad, leaving an exasperated phone message because they were giving me the run around, the service manager called back and said I could take my car to the next nearest dealer (2 hours away).
Later when I was forced to buy an oil suction tube/screen from them, my brother in law went into the showroom floor and asked if the Audi sludge problem had been fixed. Three salespeople quickly said "there's no sludge problem". One added that that's just an internet rumor.
--Art