Detaching Speedometer cable from manual transmission Audi 5000S 1984

Hi,
I am trying to remove my transmission in order to replace the clutch. I have difficulty pulling out the spedo cable from the transmission. Could anybody give me a quick advice on how to detach the cable. I do
not have any documentation which details how to do it.
thanks,
Andre
I have not done a 5000S, but it might be like my 4000S. Does yours have a tall cylindrical nut holding the cable to the transmission? It might have 4 notches at the top to aid you in unscrewing it so you don't crush it trying to use pliers. Sometimes that nut like to corrode so maybe some penetrating oil might help.
Or maybe you can detach it from the 02 sensor mileage timer up near the windshield, if so equipped.
--
later,
(One out of many daves)