Does anyone have MAF problems after installing an aftermarket intake?

I have a 1999 Audi A4 2.8L and I have recently installed an aftermarket intake. Since then (couple weeks ago) the idle is somewhat unstable at low speeds or while clutching, to the point where it even stalls occasionly (happened twice). Now the CEL (check engine light) appears as soon as I start up the car and remains lit. So what should I do? Should I re-install the stock air box? Maybe everything will go back to normal? Or should I replace the MAF(or whatever is actually wrong) and keep the aftermarket intake? Or will the problem just re-occur? Also I heard that the idle and stalling problems could be due to the Idle Control Valve being not clean. I know that you can clean it, using carb/throttle body cleaner. The hard part is getting it out.

Any thoughts would be great.

Also I've have ordered a engine scanner and will know the exact problem code as soon as it arrives (a couple days).

Thanks

Reply to
profits23

When you get the scanner, dump the ECU error codes, then check the adaptation values for the MAF. The ECU can adapt to the aging that all MAFs experience, but it has a diagnostic limit that can trip readiness bits and cause the MIL to light up.

If you determine it's indeed the MAF going to heaven, check with a main line dealer to see if they'll cover the replacement on a double-secret warranty program. I had a MAF go bad (adaptation had hit +22%) and Audi replaced it for no cost to me, even though it was outside of the original warranty.

Also, if you got one of those CAIs that used oiled filters, be prepared to replace the MAF often...

/daytripper '00 s4 6spd

Reply to
daytripper

Thanks, I will look into it in a couple days as soon as my scanner comes. If it is the MAF I will defintely take that CAI out and go back to stock. I really don't feel like stalling around town or dealing with this again, just a waste of time and $$$. It's sad though, I had a really nice set up, custom made to only breathe the air from outside. Also, what you said about some of the CAI having oiled filters. I never knew that. How do I know if my cone is oiled?

I really didn't think that the Audi sensors would be so sensitive/complicated. Oh well it was a cheap part to put in this car. I did everything else like rims, suspension, 12 pc control arm upgrade, brembo brake rotors, and I just thought like the CAI was the only thing I hadn't done yet. So I put one in. Bad move.

But could there also be a chance that the CAI had nothing to do with it?

Now I'm saving for a Pes G2 Supercharger, not quite there yet.

thanks aga> > >I have a 1999 Audi A4 2.8L and I have recently installed an aftermarket

Reply to
profits23